1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA union boss to NBA reporters: If you have a question, ask it; if you don't, leave.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Michele Roberts appears to be doubling down on Kevin Durant's rant.

"Most of the time I go to the locker room, the players are there and there are like eight or nine reporters just standing there, just staring at them," Roberts said. "And I think to myself, 'OK, so this is media availability?' If you don't have a f---ing question, leave, because it's an incredible invasion of privacy. It's a tremendous commitment that we've made to the media -- are there ways we can tone it down? Of course. It's very dangerous to suggest any limitation on media's access to players, but let's be real about some of this stuff."

PBWA responds:

"The suggestion that reporters use locker-room access periods to eavesdrop on players’ conversations or to do anything other than work is inaccurate. The NBA’s pregame media-access period provides a vital forum for building constructive relationships between players and reporters. In the vast majority of cases, reporters are in locker rooms before a game because the reporters are waiting to interview players who are in the training room for treatment, on the court warming up or attending pregame chapel services."

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Speaking of NBA reporters, how great was the exchange between Carlisle and (I think) the ESPNDallas reporter the other night?

Carlisle: How many times do I have to answer that question?
    Reporter: Just one. You haven't answered it yet.
    Carlisle: /silence

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

If it's as simple as what's stated in the thread title, it's hard to argue. You don't need to be in the locker room if you're not working. I understand the relationship-building part of it -- that counts as working -- but if you're just hanging around because you can, that's unnecessary.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that was Tim MacMahon. He lives for those kinds of moments.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

A lot of times you're hanging around waiting for a certain player to show up. Or at least someone relevant.

6. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

The MacMahon-Carlisle exchange was pretty great.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Exactly. Does she think working reporters actually enjoy standing around in a locker room? Get me the people I need and I'm gone.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

In an NBA locker room? Only the female reporters.

Draft saved Draft deleted