1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jason Reid leaving Post for radio and ESPN.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He was good at the Post.

Personally? I think hosting your own radio show is hard as shit to do well for any length of period of time without getting worn down trying to juggle both roles. Good luck to him. You say it out loud for 3 hours a day, then try to craft on a computer, and it's hard to keep that radio voice out of the prose.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Wonder if Steinberg will be keeping count of how many times Reid says "partner" or "my guy" on his radio show?

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It is impossible for any human being, Einstein, Socrates, you name 'em to be responsible for three to four hours of radio time without saying at least one monumentally silly thing in that time. This wears the host down. We all know good writers who became horrible caricatures of themselves as radio hosts. The medium is a brain cell killer. I don't know this fellow, but I wish him well. Of course, the money is pretty good.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Show will be called "The Man Cave" and co-hosted by Chris Paul (not that Chris Paul. This guy's a DC radio personality). Debuts on March 16.

ESPN 980 - WASHINGTON D.C.

It bumps Mike and Mike to 570 AM, which bumps Andy Pollin's show off the air, or at least to a different time slot.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I would listen to Einstein do a sports talk show.

7. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

ESPN 980 is owned by Daniel Snyder - or one of Snyder's companies to be more accurate. Jason Reid has been harshly and overtly critical of Daniel Snyder and his meddling role as the owner of the Redskins. I would not have predicted the two of them would become "partners" in any way.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I worked with Jason when he was a kid prep guy in Southern California. It was obvious he was headed for bigger and better things. Congrats to a really good guy.
    One career "highlight." Our staff team won a one-run softball game with a game-ending triple play. I had watched the other team and ID'd "softball guy," the over-aggressive dude who will try to take an extra base on every play -- hit a single try to get a double, try to score from first on a single, etc. So the first two guys get on in the bottom of the last inning, "softball guy" is on second. Quick meeting at the pitchers mound. I told everybody to be alert because the guy was going to try to score no matter where the ball was hit. The batter hit a perfect double-play ball just to the left of our shortstop. He fielded the ball, stepped on second and threw to me at first. Without hesitation, I turned and fired home. Jason was the catcher. The guy was out by 10 feet with Jason applying the tag. Game-ending triple play. The beer tasted extra special that night.

9. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

How much will he make in this new job? How much was he making with The Post? Was he also doing a radio show when he was with The Post?

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This guy was a softball CATCHER? How embarrassing. :)

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

What happens to Andy Polley?

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Hate to stereotype, but he looked like a catcher.

Draft saved Draft deleted