1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mayweather-Pacquiao: Bring it

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'd have been very excited for this fight five years ago. Years of ridiculousness on both sides and a decline in Pacquaio's skills have kind of taken the piss out of everything for me.

Plus, while Pacquaio's style is exciting, Mayweather's whole game is neutralizing that.

I'll take Floyd in a boring, yet masterfully defensive decision.

Rusty Shackleford likes this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It'll be a controversial draw and 30 seconds later, there will be screaming for a rematch.

And yes, I'm referring to the bout, and not a wrestling match.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I think it'll be reminscent of Hopkins-De La Hoya. Tacticians will have to admire it, but it'll fall far short of Hagler-Hearns.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Gonna be expectation meets unhappy reality, like tasting vanilla extract when you're a kid. Pacquaio win would now rank as a very major upset.

Songbird likes this.
  6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

All of this. Would have LOVED to watch this fight several years ago. I barely care now. I hope it is good, but I'm not optimistic.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Mayweather by decision.
    I was talking to a friend of mine today about this fight. She doesn't care much for Mayweather because he fights too defensively and is content to win on points rather than going for the knockout.
    I'll never criticize a guy for using what he has and playing to his strengths. That's what he does best. It might not be entertaining but it works for him.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I hope it's closer to Heat (when DeNiro and Pacino finally appeared on screen together), than Righteous Kill. Still would have been better when both were in their primes.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Pacquiao FTW.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The manly art of self-defense has always been part of boxing, so I can't criticize Mayweather for his excellence at it.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Boxing is such a shamocracy these days, the only thing I'm interested in about this fight is what kind of clowncar finale will it have?

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  12. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

WFW. If this was 2010, damn near all 7 billion of us would have watched. Now, i think Paq loses a decision that isnt really very close, claims he should have won even though nobody else agrees, and screams for a rematch.

I will admit to surprise in learning that Mayweather is actually 2 years older than Paq. I would have guessed Paq was in his early 40s and Mayweather early 30s...

Draft saved Draft deleted