1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Next SJ outing, Venezuela?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 19, 2015.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Venezuela Holiday May Never Be as Cheap Again on Your Visa - Bloomberg Business

Venezuala has been getting killed by the drop in the price of oil, which is priced in US dollars. Llast week, they were forced to lift their currency peg (It was 6.3 bolivars to the dollar) -- and they are letting the market set the exchange rate, currently somewhere north of 170 bolivars per dollar right now -- at least for as long as it takes for them to gather some dollar reserves.

The result: Show up with dollars in your pocket today and you can take a domestic flight for $7, stay at the five-star Marriott Hotel in Caracas for $60 and get a Big Mac for 92 cents, according to that story.

The price for your cheap vacation: a toilet paper shortage and the highest murder rate among country capitals, which explains why Venezuela had less visitors than Uzbekistan or Latvia in 2013.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I want to visit "The Tower of David" billed as the worlds tallest slum. It's the
    place where they kept Brody.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

So ... take a case of Charmin and a loaded .45?

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Or a toilet-paper wielding bodyguard.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Wow. I thought Cape Town was good deal at like 11 to 1. (and I do recommend Cape Town for a trip).

Draft saved Draft deleted