1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett being Gannett, again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by checkswinger, Feb 18, 2015.

1. checkswinger

checkswinger Member

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I really don't understand this. They basically re-write the positions to fit the people they already have but you still have to interview and apply for two positions?

And presumably will be interviewed by folks from other Gannett properties who know little about everyone's background?

And since most papers/websites are still struggling, why aren't the editor and publisher positions among those that people have to re-apply for?

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Because not all the positions "fit" the people they already have. There was one paper, I can't recall if it was listed on the jobs board here or on Romanesko, that had something like 25 different duties for the position (some of which were really bullshit buzzwords) Which provides them with the excuse when they don't "rehire" someone, who is usually older and earns more money. The jobs also may pay much less, so they hope the older people get disgusted and leave.

Hopkins (the ex-Gannett blogger) pointed out in the comments that the company could be opening themselves up an age discrimination lawsuit. It'll be interesting to see if all the older people leave and if only younger people are hired.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My understanding is there are something like 41 positions and 38 current employees and they are not (at this point) letting anyone outside apply. They did lay off the long-time (and older) DC based political reporter.

So it seems that this is (hopefully) more of a realignment than exercies to get rid of folks or lowering pay.

It's the kind of thing that back in the day (maybe a year ago) where you'd bring in the GA writer and say you are splitting the State U beat into separate football and basketball beats and offer her the chance to be the new State U football writer.

Guess that's kind of old fashioned.

5. EddieM

EddieM Member

Are the new beats listed anywhere, yet?

6. checkswinger

checkswinger Member

EddieM likes this.
  7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Ahhahahaha! Good one.
    I'm confident I related elsewhere on this board the story of the Nashville Gannetteer who was offered a chance to move to a new assignment for a $40K pay cut.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

9. bevo

bevo Member

I know of a Gannett paper that got rid of younger folks with digital backgrounds in favor of older workers 5 years from retirement who had never tweeted or Facebooked before they thought their job was in jeopardy.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Um, what was the logic there?

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Were the older workers women or minorities?

12. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Each time I clicked the link to the story, the story would appear for about five seconds then get covered up by, first, a subscription ad, and then by a survey. I give up.

Draft saved Draft deleted