1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New forum software

Discussion in 'SJ Site News & Suggestions' started by Jeff, Dec 13, 2014.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yep. Now it's crashing on my PC as well as my Mac.

Not sure about the add-ons disable cure, though...SJ's not the only site I visit so I need to keep them engagaged.

2. Jeff

Jeff Administrator Staff Member

If it's an adblock script that's causing the crashing, then all the ones I've seen you can whitelist a domain so that it'll run everywhere except a particular site.

There's a decent likelihood it's another addon though... first try with all addons disabled and see if it fixes it. Nice thing about being as bad as you describe is you should be able to immediately see whether that makes a difference. If it does, then you just have to try the addons one at a time to figure out which one was causing the problem.

If you do figure it out, and there's something I can do to help alleviate the issue, I'm more than happy to do it.

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

It works fine for me at work but has been crashing at home. Turned off all my add-ons and it went away. Slowly been turning them on to see if I can isolate which one it was. I think I know which one but can't remember the name. I'll post it later.

Jeff likes this.
  4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Working fine for me the last couple of days, and the only extension I've left out is Greenhouse, one I haven't used since election season anyway.

Jeff likes this.
  5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Crashes for me every time I visit...so I'm out.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Same.
    I appreciate this is a fluid thing here. You don't have it where you want it to be.
    But- and I mean this respectfully- we should not have to tool around with our settings to be able to use the site.

7. Jeff

If there's something broken on the server, I'm happy to fix it. As I mentioned previously, start by disabling all browser extensions and see if the site still crashes.

If the crashes stop, then the problem is caused by a poorly-coded browser extension, and there's nothing I can do--the problem is on your computer, not on the server. Re-enable them one at a time until you identify which one is causing the crashing and get rid of it.

However, if you're still having crashes even after completely disabling all extensions, use What browser am I using? Is my browser up to date? Web browser detection, Javascript, Cookies, Flash and Operating System detection. : What Is My Browser to send me diagnostic information about your computer so I can try and replicate the issue--there's form at the bottom to send your information to support@sportsjournalists.com.

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Hey Jeff,

One function I miss from the old site is the ability to mark off each forum as read, not just by new posts.
    For example, I was able to go to the Jobs forum and mark all of those as read. Then I didn't have them in my list of New Posts, which help cut down on time when I missed a week and I am not looking for work.
    I hope that made sense.

Jeff likes this.
  9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

You can do this. If you are in a specific forum and click Mark Forums Read, it should give you the option of just that forum or to mark all forums as read.

Jeff and spikechiquet like this.
  10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Ahhhhhhh!
    Sweet!
    I only saw the "Watch Forum" on the right.
    Thanks!

BDC99 likes this.
  11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I wish we could mark off individual posts from the combined New Posts menu.

12. Jeff

Yeah, I'd find that more convenient myself. Unfortunately changing that is beyond my PHP coding skills because of the way Xenforo tracks whether a post has been read--it touches a lot of different moving parts.

Draft saved Draft deleted