1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All Oregon wants for its birthday is a new governor

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by murphyc, Feb 13, 2015.

1. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Oregon is celebrating its anniversary of statehood tomorrow and could very well have a new governor by then.
    The Cliff Notes version: Gov. John Kitzhaber barely won an unprecedented third term in 2010 (he stepped aside for a few years after his first two terms) and ran again last year. There were several high profile missteps, including the botched Cover Oregon health care fiasco. But the Republican challenger, Dennis Richardson, wasn't exactly the strongest challenger.
    Last October, stories started coming out about the governor's fiance' doing some unethical things, most notably taking advantage of her position to secure sweet contracts worth big money. In spite of that, Kitzhaber won pretty handily, thanks largely to Portland voters.
    Since then, the scrutiny has continued to mount. Two weeks ago Kitzhaber held a press conference in which he acknowledged questions about his fiance' were legitimate, but most who watched or attended that conference agree it was a disaster. Last week The Oregonian -- which had lukewarmly endorsed Kitzhaber in early October and stuck with the endorsement, even in light of mounting questions -- called for him to resign. Things have reached a fever pitch this week with many top Democrats in the state now calling for the same thing.
    Since Oregon has no lieutenant governor position (one of only five such states), the Secretary of State would be next in line. She was in a conference in D.C. this week. According to her, the governor called her and asked her to return to Oregon at once. She did and met with the governor, only to be asked why she had returned.
    I'll try to post some links later, but needless to say this has been quite the bizarre month so far in Oregon.

2. murphyc

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No Politics Please

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Those hippie fuckers get the best political intrigue stories. From Packwood to Goldschmidt to David Wu to the Portland mayor and his boy toy to this -- and also throwing in the Oregonian's editorial page editor who was caught dead with a woman you wouldn't want to be caught dead with -- it's just a gold mine for sex and shadiness.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It will have one, Kitzhaber resigns, flies out of office with his own wings. Happy 156th birthday to us. Democrats got what they wanted to, the new gov, who nobody really knows a anything about because who cares about the sec of state, positions herself to win in 2018 because the GOP will probably run another empty suit who has no chance promoting a socially conservative agenda in a state that hasn't elected a Rep. to statewide office in nearly 30 years.

I voted for the guy four times so I hope he enjoys waking up every morning next to a con-artist nut job who cost him the state house. His image was always better than his accomplishments and at the very least it's one less Ivy League guy in our state government.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

No big deal out here. Two-thirds of the voters are too baked to care and the other 1/3 are out looking for black helicopters.

Riptide likes this.
  8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Bisexual? Hmm, there has to be a way to use that to promote Oregonian tourism.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Kitzhaber with the femme fatale:

[​IMG]

I think it's pretty clear that Kate Brown's first night as governor will not be the first night she has spent in the governor's bed.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Kitzhaber was a good governor, but I think he thought he had more friends than he did. He didn't handle the situation well. The fiancee isn't the first significant other of a politician to suddenly notice an uptick in business due to their relationship. The problem was Kitzhaber tried to play it both ways, he referred to her as an advisor, while she was also getting outside money from non-profit policy groups. I imagine her business won't be quite so popular anymore.

11. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

I think one of the worst results is that The Oregonian will no doubt sprain its shoulder patting itself on the back for its role in this, when it was the Willamette Week (again) that shined the light on things. After that, The Oregonian just used its superior manpower.

Vulture journalism.

12. murphyc

For sure, the Willamette Week kicked The Oregonian's butt with its coverage, going back to October and continuing through this week. WW keeps breaking the big stories, including yet another one yesterday.
    Meanwhile, the paper in Ashland, Oregon had an interesting photo on the front this morning.
    http://webmedia.newseum.org/newseum-multimedia/dfp/pdf19/OR_DT.pdf

Draft saved Draft deleted