1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, I get a call from the school...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RecoveringJournalist, Feb 12, 2015.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

My oldest (third grade) had enrichment class first thing this morning in the computer lab. During his time there, he clicked on to his class' roster and marked everyone, including his teachers absent, so they were unable to log into computers today, and apparently they spend about half the day on computers and because of my kid, they could not do that today. :D

I don't think the vice-principal appreciated it when I started laughing so hard I couldn't speak when she informed me of what my kid did.

After I was informed that this was no laughing matter, I asked the vice-principal why anyone would be able to do that. She didn't have an answer for that one. I told her my kid was just exposing how bad the security was on the computer system. I told her some companies pay top dollar to have people expose the flaws in their computer's security.

I then apologized and told her I would talk to him and make sure he doesn't do it again.

I guess there are worse things to be called by the school about... :D

KYSportsWriter likes this.
  2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Damn. It's a wonder that hasn't happened before now.

If he could do that in the system, I can only wonder what other things he could have pulled up.

And yes, they should be thanking you for exposing this weakness.

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
  3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Should have signed off by telling her to make sure the class brings a note tomorrow.

Ryan Holmgren likes this.
  4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Oh, if only he had been old enough to search for that school system's hidden poin files. He could have had enough blackmail material to make valedictorian.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Your son did the school a great service. No way a student should be able to access the class roster.

The funniest call we ever got from school was when my son also was in third grade. Like many little boys, he was really into being a police officer.

Well, we bought his a pair of handcuffs, which he brought to school with him and had taken away.

When my wife went to school to pick them up, she could see all of the office staff giggling, thinking the handcuffs were ours.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Here was the explanation as it was given to us...

My son's class has this math race going on. This is done on computers/tablets every night and they do it in class. They get 10 minutes or so of math questions and they get 3 seconds to answer each question. They do this for addition, and then when you pass that, you go on to subtraction, when you pass that you go on to multiplication, when you pass that, you do on to division. When you pass division, you then get 2.5 seconds to answer each question... Most of the class is still in subtraction. My son is in division. He's in third in his class and when he clicked to see where the other kids were, he noticed that if you click the teacher's name it takes you to the attendance lists. So, he marked them all absent and then when that happened, any access for any of those user names was shut off for the day.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That is hilarious, RJ.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

VP's knickers need to get out of a bunch. This is fracking funny. She's probably only pissed because the principal jumped her ass for making it way too easy for a kid to screw with the system. She'll laugh about it at the end of the school year.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is a huge screw up by the school to allow a student that type of access.

I'm not sure if I would have laughed or if I would have been pissed off about the pure stupidity of administration allowing it to happen.

The real challenge would have been keeping a straight face when speaking to my child about it, because you really do have to try to correct the behavior.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Steve Sanders sees nothing wrong with it.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Call your nearest technology company and tell them he hacked his school, they'll give him an internship.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And maybe he'll be able to earn a scholarship!

Draft saved Draft deleted