1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Charles Barkley: Stats guys "never played the game"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Sports are dumb.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Charles Barkley's transformation into an old white man is more interesting than Bruce Jenner's transformation to an old white woman.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Buried lede...

An NBA coach, speaking to ESPN.com senior writer Ramona Shelburne, said there is value in the use of analytics but that it is limited.

"To say they've revolutionized everything about coaching or basketball is just wrong," the coach said.

The NBA coach said he uses analytics but that a lot of the statistics and formulas have been available for 10 years.

"You just had to look it up yourself on a computer," the coach said.

"These guys are bright, ambitious and a lot of them have carved out niches for themselves where they take credit for everything," the coach added. "You're taking people with a background in analytics. But they're out evaluating players and making decisions."

5. Dick Whitman

What is lede-worthy that was "buried"?

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It was considered revolutionary in the late 70s/ early 80s when they started keeping track of things like FG percentage, assist/ turnover ratio, shot charting, back when Chuck was in junior high school.

Before then, it was possible for Tiny Archibald to lead the league in scoring and assists and people to go ga-ga about it, before some killjoys pointed out that Archibald, 1) shot a shitty FG percentage, 2) had a gazillion turnovers, 3) gave up a billion points on defense, and 4) led the Kings to an abysmal record.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Maybe it was Ty Corbin or Vinnie Del Negro.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

So no discussion of the tweet from Morey that set this off?

Daryl Morey ✔ @dmorey
    Follow

Best part of being at a TNT game live is it is easy to avoid Charles spewing misinformed biased vitriol disguised as entertainment

Somewhat unbecoming of a GM. And Daryl Morey is quite the know-it-all publicity hound who always does his part by having his revolutionary ideas not pan out. He makes a good villain in the debate.

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
  9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He hasn't won a championship but do you really think he hasn't done a good job there?

Houston is far from the only team deep into analytics, but you're right he loves to be out in front of this.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think he has done an overrated job. Getting Harden was a no-brainer and he had competition from all over the league but won. Good for him. Getting Howard was a question mark and doesn't appear to be paying off, not for the franchise player type anyway. And there are a lot of teams that have moved from behind the Rockets to ahead of the Rockets in the last few years. I assume most of them use some form of analytics, but probably don't pin all the success of their team on that factor.

Remember, as Dick well knows, analytics told Morey to sign Jeremy Lin. :)

11. Dick Whitman

What makes comments like Barkley's dumb, in basketball as well as baseball, hockey, and football, is that every organization now uses advanced statistics in conjunction with traditional scouting in order to make really important decisions with a razor thin margin of error.

And I guess that he's just trying to be funny, but the mom's basement stuff or digs about what guys were like in high school is just junior high-level bullying bullshit.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I think it's a little unfair to not give credit for Harden. 29 other teams could have made the no brainer move as well.
    I think Howard is working out fine and there are a lot of moving parts to be able to make these moves. He does put himself out there which makes him a big target and he will be unless the Rockets win a chapionship, which I think is unfair but he has brought that on himself.

Jeremy Lin is not a shining moment, although I beleive 93 devil ahd him as a top 5 PG when he went on his little Knicks run.

Draft saved Draft deleted