1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

State athletic association cancels seasons after on-court brawl

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think the postseason ban is pretty standard in most states for incidents like that. If they're repeat offenders for discipline or security issues, maybe that led to the cancellation of the other games.
    Depending how many games they had left, it could also be a suspension-based thing. One of our schools got into a big brawl during football season a couple of years ago and forfeited its last two games -- not because the state association made them do it, but because they would have only had about 15 players available once all the suspensions were counted up.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'd say brawling is one thing that it's OK for high school associations to overreact to. Punishment fits the crime.

4. Dick Whitman

According to some of the newspaper stories on the incident, kids had been firing back and forth on social media all week, and the JV game was getting out of hand, as well.

In other words, both coaches should have seen this coming and prevented it from escalating. I don't know how either one can keep his job.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Pretty harsh penalty (especially having to pay $500 for each away game left) but seems well-earned.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Norman Dale weeps.

"I got him a good one, didn't I, coach?"

"Yeah, you did."

8. Dick Whitman

One of my best friends in college was in one of these in high school, against Carmel, basically the nicest town in Indiana. They certainly didn't have their seasons canceled. Maybe the rules are different when it's two black teams.

9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

That SI video was loading for crap, at least for me, so I pulled up a YouTube video of the brawl. If anyone else is having the same trouble, here's that version.

The IHSAA makes a lot of stupid decisions, but this is one that I can't quibble with. Not only do both benches clear - unnecessarily - but fans pour in from both sides of the court. Sucks for them that both teams were having a decent year.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  10. franticscribe

Carmel's only nice if you're into the Stepford thing, or like roundabouts. It's a false equivalency, though, to compare something from 15-20 years ago and without seeing the videos.

Martinsville had its season canceled around that same time for the racial epithets fans were using against Bloomington North, and a player writing KKK on his shoes. Hey, they're an all-white town? Why'd the IHSAA suspend them if there's a double-standard for diverse schools?

11. Dick Whitman

It does seem like the fans and adults involved are all trying to break it up, no?

12. franticscribe

Some of them clearly are, but it's hard to tell what many of them are doing out there, beyond adding to the chaos and commotion.

What punishment would you deem appropriate for a bench-clearing brawl in which both teams players rushed the court within seconds of that hard foul?

Draft saved Draft deleted