1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Old hockey writers, more threatened by analytics than old baseball writers?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Feb 10, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The fight over NHL analytics has already been decided, but like a certain goaltender tarnishing his legacy by playing well past his golden years, some mainstream media members just can’t let go.

The league’s official website will soon provide advanced statistics, and a new player tracking system is on the horizon. The “summer of analytics” saw a handful of teams bring on number crunchers last year. Yet, there are still some people who resist change and insist on fighting a losing battle.

John MacKinnon is one of them. The Edmonton Journal columnist wrote a problematic piece last week, taking aim at Oilers hockey operations consultant Tyler Dellow, an analytics expert hired by the club last summer.

NHL analytics war over, whether columnists like it or not

The MacKinnon column is truly awful: Edmonton Oilers analytics guy remains muzzled but causes media ruckus anyway. Go figure. | Edmonton Journal

[​IMG]

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The old guard NHL writer is awful, there are hundreds of dinosaurs that aren't willing to adapt. Just like in baseball its burying your head in the sand and make mothers basement jokes. The Blackhawks and Kings have been using these for years.

Just like baseball, analytics aren't going anywhere and the good ones like Bob McKenzie adapt. Between the Toronto and Edmonton media alone you could film another Jurassic Park movie.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but come on, it's not like those are successful franchises.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The retort from the Dinosaurs will be that Edmonton and Toronto hired "bloggers" this year and look at how they're doing. Not taking into account the years and years of failing their organizations have gone through without the God awful bloggers.

Just like baseball, these aren't even advanced stats, they're common sense.

5. YankeeFan

Wake me up when Hollywood makes a movie about a front office employee of a hockey team.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I mean, he was an important part of the film.

[​IMG]

7. YankeeFan

Sorry.

Let me know when they make a movie about a nerdy front office employee of a hockey team.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

It better be 100 percent accurate, otherwise I'm gonna get really mad.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What's interesting is that the plus/ minus ratio was one of the more advanced stats of any sport at a time
    when no one really spent a lot of time on analytics.

Wonder what "The Hockey Maven" Stan Fischler thinks.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Plus minus is one of the worst stats in sports.

Fischler is Murray Chass.

dprince57 and YankeeFan like this.
  11. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

[
    Is what we got here a failure to communicate?

[​IMG]

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Someone better not write an even-handed, informative article about the differences between real life and the movie version, or else I'm going to accuse them of being really mad.

Draft saved Draft deleted