1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dave Goldberg

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Fuck. Worked with him briefly in the AP office in New York when I was very young in the business. Really good guy.

Complications from hip surgery? Double fuck.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Must have blown a clot.
    My biggest fear with any seemingly routine procedure.
    Damn.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Yep, never met him that I recall, but I sure knew that byline.

RIP.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Dave was a colleague for many years, a guy who helped teach me the ropes when I was young and someone I would return to time and again for advice or a different perspective. Terry Taylor noted Dave's legendary schmoozing skills. I always saw it as Dave' natural curiosity and genuine interest in other peoples' opinions. Those attributes helped make him a great reporter and an even greater man.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    Double Down likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dave was indeed a really good guy. Horrible news.

7. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

That schmoozing line sure sounded like a backhanded (at best) compliment. There are people who initiate conversations because they're convinced you need to hear their thoughts, and there are people who initiate conversations because they have a genuine interest in others' thoughts.

I didn't know Dave Goldberg. I knew that byline very, very well.

As someone with little knowledge of what a leader of a major sport's coverage for The Associated Press does, I would be interested to know the demands of his job.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Great story within a story:

Goldberg spent countless hours with coaches over the years and had little patience for coach-speak or breathless talk of the critical importance of an upcoming game. Goldberg would be quick to remind everyone what one of his favorite NFL figures, Hall of Fame coach Marv Levy, once told him: "A must win? World War II was a must win."

RIP, Dave Goldberg.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Don't draw that inference. Schmoozing doesn't have a negative connotation and certainly didn't in the way it was used in NY Sports back in those days. It was a high compliment to be called a schmoozer by the likes of Marv Schneider or Dick Joyce or Hal Bock after you got off the phone from an extended conversation with a source. It meant that you worked it.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Damn, that was good.

12. Yeah, that was great.
    Encapsulated Goldberg and the anonymity of an AP writer.

Draft saved Draft deleted