1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alabama: Learning the hard way since 1963

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cranberry, Feb 9, 2015.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Ala. chief justice to judges: Refuse gay marriage licenses - NY Daily News

2. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

And it was nice to see that a lot of the local judges have ignored him.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Roll Tide
    [​IMG]

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Several probate courts in Alabama are closing for the day and/or ceasing to grant marriage licenses to ANYONE.

Sort of like when they were ordered to integrate public pools back in the 60s and they just closed the pools instead.

5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I heard one judge on NPR the other morning saying he would ignore Roy Moore because his rural county couldn't afford to lose a civil rights lawsuit, which they surely would. It was somewhat refreshing. At least some folks clearly see Roy Moore's grandstanding as a ploy for a higher profile or office.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The one time I voted in a Republican primary in my life was to vote against Moore when he ran for governor in 2006.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Add "Buying a suit that fits" to the list of things Alabamans can't do well.

8. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Plaintiffs filed a motion in Federal District Court requesting the probate judge for Mobile be held in contempt for failing to grant licenses.

http://sblog.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Ala.-marriage-contempt-motion-2-9-15.pdf

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

That petition was denied.

10. three_bags_full

It appears that about a third of the probate judges issued licenses, despite Judge Fucktard's "order." I would imagine there's a pretty normal distribution among the others with a third issuing not licenses because of the confusion and another third not issuing them for the wrong reasons.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

On the merits or on a technicality?

12. three_bags_full

I think a third probably were actually confused. My home county began issuing licenses early this morning, but stopped around noon due to all the confusion. Remember, these guys aren't judges or lawyers. Most of them are just local businessmen who're elected.

I'd imagine the vast majority are open and issuing licenses tomorrow. I may be wrong, but that's what I think.

Draft saved Draft deleted