1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chipper Jones Sandy Hook truther

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"Somebody hacked my account."

3. Stick to the Hooters crowd, Chipper.

And STFU.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A 9/11 Truther just coached in the Super Bowl.

Did it come up even once?

Is Seahawks coach Pete Carroll a 9/11 truther? That all depends: Does badgering a former four-star general about whether 9/11 was real make one a truther?

Here's what happened, according to a couple sources: Late last spring, retired general Peter Chiarelli, who had just finished his term as the Army's vice chief of staff, visited Carroll at the Seattle Seahawks headquarters. Chiarelli was expecting a pleasant meeting. After all, the pair had what important businesspeople tend to call synergies: Chiarelli—who grew up in Seattle—is a big Seahawks fan. His post-military work concerns traumatic brain injury research, a cause of some significance to the NFL. And both have plenty of experience leading groups of men on grand American stages.

The sit-down between Chiarelli and Carroll started off normally enough. They talked about the team, and then about head trauma. Chiarelli, who commanded the American forces in Iraq during Operation Iraqi Freedom II, talked about the brain injuries he had seen there. But Chiarelli's mention of Iraq sent Carroll in another direction: He wanted to know if the September 11 attacks had been planned or faked by the United States government.

In particular, Carroll wanted to know whether the attack on the Pentagon had really happened. Chiarelli—who was the top-ranking Army official inside the Pentagon when American Airlines Flight 77 crashed into its western side—explained that it had. He said he had lost many colleagues. But Carroll didn't stop there. He ran through the whole 9/11 truther litany.

"Every 9/11 conspiracy theory you can think of, Pete asked about," said Riki Ellison, the former NFL linebacker who now runs the Missile Defense Advocacy Alliance and introduced Carroll to Chiarelli. Ellison, along with Seahawks offensive line coach Pat Ruel, was at the meeting as well.

Is Pete Carroll A 9/11 Truther?

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Chipper sounds more gullible than anything. Reading the Tweet, it sounds like he was under the impression this was actually something that was reported, likely Retweet from some loony toon wing nut source he follows.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

True. But how dumb/gullible do you have to be to think, "wow, that turned out to be a hoax? How did I miss that?"

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Do you not use social media ...

8. EddieM

EddieM Member

To answer your question, yes, I saw several outlets mention it in the lead up to the Super Bowl.

9. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I didn't need another reason to dislike Pete Carroll, but I'll take it

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

He apologized, FWIW. So at least he didn't use the "hacked" excuse.

As someone pointed out on Twitter, Chipper seems like the kind of guy who doesn't read much, so when he does, he thinks it's the most profound thing he's ever read and believes every word of it.

I have a brother that is the same way ...

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Chipper Jones is a dipshit.

12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

As much as I disagree with the 9/11 truthers, I understand how some trust the government so little that they can concoct that scenario in their tiny little minds...

But a massacre where a bunch of 6-year-olds were killed? Fuck off Larry...

Draft saved Draft deleted