1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Memo to President Obama: the Crusades ended 724 years ago

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Feb 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Speaking at the National Prayer Breakfast:

"Unless we get on our high horse and think that this is unique to some other place, remember that during the Crusades and Inquisition, people committed terrible deeds in the name of Christ," Obama said. "In our home country, slavery and Jim Crow all too often was justified in the name of Christ."

I applaud him for his opening remarks because he took Islamic terrorists to task. But the death and carnage being waged right now aren't by Christians or Hindus or Mormons. Christianity evolved from its barbaric times. Islam fundamentalism hasn't. When people try to equate the barbarism going on now with stuff in the past, I ask one question: Does that mean we should do nothing about what's happening now?

(And before any says Timothy McVeigh, yeah, terrible, Absolutely. It also was 20 years ago, carried by several nut jobs and nothing on that scale has happened again. The body count for Isis, Boko Haram, Hamas, etc. is staggering compared to that and is sanctioned and/or supported by Islamic governments).

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Africa might need us more than Middle East, but we need the Middle East more than we need Africa.

And can this problem over there be fixed?

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This should be good.

LongTimeListener and YankeeFan like this.
  4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Agree. two of the great minds of SJ already at work on the issue.

BTW I think Kate Upton looks great as a crusader on high horse.

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

No thigh-touching up there.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Well, certainly better than me.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

God wills it!!

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Who suggested this? The point is, it's time for Islamic fundamentalist to evolve or be destroyed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.