1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is a "pitch about yourself" the same as a cover letter?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jim Luther Davis, Feb 3, 2015.

1. It might sound like a stupid question, but I'd rather ask then send in something other than what they were looking for.

An ad I saw for a position instructed to send my resume, clips and I quote, "a short, hard-hitting pitch about yourself."

I mean, from my understanding, a cover letter is pretty much a pitch about yourself. But I'd rather be sure than sorry.

2. Anyone? lol

3. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Should have sold your question better

SnarkShark likes this.
  4. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Sounds like it's the same thing. Maybe inject a little bit of personality into it instead of just making it a standard, form-letter cover.

....and good luck.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This. Sounds like they want a cover letter that shows more of your personality. Have fun with it, and highlight your best features as creatively as you can. Sounds like it could be a good little project.

6. Thanks, guys. Appreciate the help.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I think a pitch needs to highlight what you can do for them. Toot your own horn, but remember you're trying to entice them to give you an interview so you have to show you can bring value to them.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

If it's a professional organization, the people there would ask for a cover letter if they wanted a cover letter.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

And if they ask for a pitch and you don't know how to pitch yourself, well, there ya go ...

Work on three or four sentences that nail down who you are and what you bring to any job.

Keep it short. It's a pitch, not a letter. Make it a quick-hitter that resonates.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  10. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Send cover letter and maybe small video, so they get an idea of what you like to incorporate for the prospective sports athlete and what you're like as a person.

Draft saved Draft deleted