1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SunSentinel Sports Editor opening

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by GLee, Feb 3, 2015.

1. GLee

GLee New Member

2. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

You never get a job you don't apply for...

but would a long time desk guy be wasting his time applying for this?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My guess is a number of people with experience as a sports editor at papers of this size will be applying for this. Good job in a good area.
    But as you noted, you won't get it if you don't apply. Longshot? Sure, but maybe there's something in there that will stand out and you'll get a look. Give it a whirl.

4. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

The SunSentinel is probably the most digitally oriented of the three South Florida metros at this time, so it is a good bet that it will emphasize experience in that area during the hiring process. If your desk responsibilities include a bit of online work -- for example, updating the home page, writing SEO-friendly headlines, working with social media, etc. -- it certainly will be a point in your favor. As you said, you won't know for sure unless you apply.

5. DeskMonkey1

My *current* job has little digital responsibilities but my prior job had several, plus I have digital experience outside my main job.

I'm considering applying even if I'm woefully unqualified just to have my stuff in someone's hand but it seems more and more companies are going to automated systems where your stuff gets tossed without a human ever seeing it.

6. DeskMonkey1

Wanted to add, I emphasized the "long-time desk guy" to mean I have few bylines because I've always been editing. The only "writing" I get to do is stringing together prep games, which are two sentences long at the most and involve no reporting.

Draft saved Draft deleted