1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Playing the Wrong Way: Running Down The Score

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I can't find a lot of fault with the winning coach. If someone is going to hand you a victory, you take it.

Losing coach might want to talk to whatever jackwagon scheduled them for four games in a week. I figure that conversation takes place in front of the bathroom mirror.

3. Starman

I can; if you 'milk' a 2-0 lead for 31:50, all the opponent has to do is come up with one loose ball, throw in a 3, and down the toilet you go.

4. LongTimeListener

It sounds like the opponent stood with the ball at halfcourt. Why go out to get it? They can shoot all day from there for all the defense cares.

5. Starman

Send the defense out and force a 5-second call.

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I continue to find it idiotic that so many states don't require a shot clock.

7. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Still sounds more exciting than most NBA regular season games.
    I covered a game where a team did something like this. A defending state champ who lost a step the following year found themselves down 8 in the third quarter of a district title game. They rallied to tie it early in the fourth, then held the ball for four minutes, missed the shot at the buzzer, won the tip to start OT and did the same thing for another four minutes. This went on for FIVE overtimes before they finally lost the tip, the other team scored, and they had to actually play to tie it up again.
    Most boring 5 OT game I've ever seen.

8. LongTimeListener

With the talent spread in high school, exacerbated by recruitment and poaching, a lot more scores would get U-G-L-Y if some of these teams had to try to run with the big boys.

9. Starman

Tough shit. In a legitimate athletic contest, the team which is actually better at playing the game should usually win.

10. LongTimeListener

You should have been screaming that to your nieces when they got up 20-0. NO MERCY, STARMAN STYLE TOUGH GUY SAYS

11. Starman

Heh. As I've well noted on that thread, Sis has taken pains to pull off the high-intensity D as soon as they get up 10.

But let's keep the kiddie-basketball lunacy confined to one thread.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I covered a third-round state playoff game in 2004 where two teams were playing each other for the fourth time that season.

The coach for one team refused to play against a zone when he had the lead. So his team is up by one with 7 minutes left and had the ball. With the other team sitting back in a 2-3 zone, the point guard stood holding the ball just across the halfcourt line. Six minutes ran off the clock before the other team came out of the zone. Too late, the team freezing the ball won by four.

Draft saved Draft deleted