1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant Sports Editor - Warwick, RI

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Assistant Sports Editor

Company: Beacon Communications
    Position: Assistant Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000

[​IMG]
    Description:
    Beacon Communications, which publishes the twice-weekly Warwick Beacon and weekly Cranston Herald and Johnston Sun Rise newspapers, is seeking an assistant sports editor to join our two-person team and help contribute to an award-winning local sports section.

This position is responsible primarily for coverage of a wide range of local high school sports, which extends to seven high schools across three communities. Coverage also includes youth sports, junior college sports and various other stories that continually crop up in our area. Other responsibilities include pagination and shooting photos, as well as helping out with a weekly podcast and special sections.

Ideal candidates have prior writing or newspaper experience, but recent college graduates or candidates without past experience will also be considered. Candidates should be engaging enough to cultivate relationships within the community and must be willing to work nights and the occasional weekend as the local sports schedule dictates.

Handiness with a camera is a plus, as is experience with Quark, Microsoft Word and Photoshop.

As we continue our focus on providing comprehensive and engaging local news coverage for our readers, we’re looking for someone who can hit the ground running and become an integral part of our team in the very near future.

Please submit a cover letter, resume and three clips to Matt Metcalf, sports editor, at Beacon Communications, 1944 Warwick Ave., Warwick, RI 02889, or electronically at mattm@rhodybeat.com.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Enjoy eating Ramen.

3. Potter

Potter Member

Hah, I was just going to say, wicked! Anyone know how easy (difficult) it is to live on that money in that area?

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Thought the same thing. That's awfully low for an assistant SE. An entry-level reporter I could understand.

5. EddieM

EddieM Member

And I'm guessing the cost of living in the Providence area isn't exactly low...

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

So a few months ago, the Beacon was a terrific paper with a veteran staff.
    Then the sports editor left to take a position as SE of another weekly. He was replaced by the ASE, who left Jan. 1 to get out of the business.
    The current SE has been in the business for only a few months, so I'm not going to pass judgment on his ability. The pay is about right, but don't think you can find a place in RI on that salary. From what I know about the place, there is no mileage and no OT.
    However, it's not a bad place to learn. The owner is big on journalism and made a play with a few other media guys to find investors to buy ProJo. You'll cover the state's best high school for boys sports and a bunch of mediocre teams.
    Honestly, if I didn't have two kids I'd make a go for it, but the pay makes no sense because it wouldn't cover day care.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The title is a matter of semantics and resume-building generosity. It's only a two-man department. So, based on the pay and the fact that recent grads will be considered (and probably hired), the position actually is, essentially, an entry-level sports reporter spot.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Correct.
    Thinking about it, you'll need a roommate. I can't recall a single sports reporter in my time here in RI living alone. Everyone lived with parents, had a roommate, significant other or married.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Plus it gets them around paying overtime.

10. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

$25,000 a year for a full-time position? Are they insane?

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

There's nothing unusual about that salary in the newspaper business.

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Hell, I worked sports there in the 80s and made $200 a week. Still living with the rents, of course.

Draft saved Draft deleted