1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where does Belichick rank?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 2, 2015.

1. I think it's a pretty safe bet, Tom Brady leaves the NFL as the best QB to ever play.

How about Bill Belichick? Best ever?
    Does the "cheating" diminish his accomplishments? Is he only as good as as QB?

I hate to say it, but I think he's prolly the best ever?
    Lombardi was great, but I think Walsh is the only other coach who could lay claim to GOAT.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Belichick himself believes Paul Brown was the greatest coach ever.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

So did Walsh.

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Walsh probably had the biggest impact on the game, at least as far as people copying his style and there was one point where there was an insane number of coaches from Walsh's tree across the NFL.

Lombardi, Belichick and Walsh would be my top 3.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Let's see how Deflategate plays out. That will go a long way toward cementing the status of Belichick.

And even though he'd be in my top five, no way he goes past Lombardi.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Deflate gates a joke and has no bearing on his legacy.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

"SpyGate" does.

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Prolly? Are you a 12-year-old girl?

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Four SB wins in 15 years, six appearances during that time.

Yes... I'll say it. GOAT for Belichick.

Walsh runs in for 11 years with SF and had that stupendous run with 3 SB in 3 tries. Noll had 4/4 in the 1970s but, in the last 12 years, Pittsburgh was a bit player during the 1980's in the weak AFC.

Since 2001, Belichick has almost always had the Patriots on the precipice of playing for something big.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I also give him points for doing it in the salary-cap era. Once Walsh got his team together, it was pretty easy to see how it could just about run on auto-pilot (and did with Seifert as a rookie coach). Couldn't keep all that talent around these days.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Walsh's 49ers were banging heads with two other multiple Super Bowl winning teams in his era, the Giants and Redskins, plus the '85 Bears. I rate this one as the Patriots best Super Bowl victory because it's by far the best team they beat to win a title.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You know whose HOF credentials got a lot stronger last night? Tom Coughlin's.

Draft saved Draft deleted