1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ESPN's Snoop and Son

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RecoveringJournalist, Jan 30, 2015.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I stumbled on this the other night and couldn't turn it off.

This is some entertaining stuff.

Anyone else watching this?

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I watched an episode earlier this week. It actually felt authentic, which was surprising.

3. RecoveringJournalist

I don't think Snoop acts any differently than a lot of parents of athletes, but it can be tough to watch at times.

I agree that it feels remarkably authentic. It can't be easy to love your dad and desperately be trying to please him and excape his shadow at the same time.

4. SnarkShark

When the Snoop and his wife were talking in the stands during a game, and she was telling him where he was lacking in showing support, that caught me off guard. That really put me over the edge in thinking that it wasn't a typical scripted reality show.

5. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah, I don't know that it portrays Snoop badly, but it certainly doesn't seem like your typical show like this, where the family has the final say over the edit. It seems very real, and that's why I find it interesting.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Saw the first 3, missed this week's.

His son is a good boy. I think Snoop is playing himself out in this series as an awful father.

7. RecoveringJournalist

Awful? No... He's overbearing, but so many football parents are. He wants what's best for his kid. That's what's interesting about it, it's the struggle between what Snoop wants and what Cordell wants. You see this kind of conflict with a lot of parents when they want the kid to go to their alma mater and the kid wants no part of that.

8. SnarkShark

Interesting you say that, because Cordell initially started at Poly, where Snoop went. Then went to Diamond Bar and eventually landed at Gorman

9. RecoveringJournalist

From a football standpoint, it's hard to argue with where he wound up. You always roll your eyes when these top prospects change schools, but given Snoop's job, it makes sense on some level.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I went to junior high with Snoop.

Anyway, his cutthroat win-at-all-costs, you-ain't-hurt-boy-get-back-out-there overzealousness is too much.

The kid is a nice boy. Snoop is forcing too much shit down his throat.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I think it's because Snoop doesn't care how he comes off. He's made his money. He's been in the public eye for 20-plus years and people know who he is and what he's about. It's really refreshing.
    Now if you want to see some complete nutbag parents, I'd recommend The Short Game on Esquire. The Golf Dads are the worst. There are two that are really supportive and I can actually understand what they're going through (like when the girl misses a 20 footer and walks off crying; dad says "It's OK, it was a good putt" and the girl is in hysterics saying "don't say that. It wasn't good." Reminded me of my kid).

12. I personally think this documentary wouldn't have happened if Snoop wasn't who he is.

Draft saved Draft deleted