1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

VaccinateGate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is driving me CRAZY. They just published our school-by-school rates, and our elementary school is at 89 percent.

The Waldorf School in Los Altos Hills, probably the wealthiest and most educated town in America, is 33 percent.

Fucking idiots. The parents have to be educated to be that successful, and they just turn into fucking idiots. The whole "Personal Belief Exemption" needs to end today and those parents need to be told they cannot send their kids to school, day care or any other activity without vaccinating (or without a legitimate medical reason).

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

My hippie sister didn't vaccinate her first kid. Nobody in her community did.
    She started nursing school after and has since realized the stupidity.

4. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

The only one I'm against in the chicken pox vaccine because it's only good about 10 years and if a male contracts the virus as a teen, he stands the chance of being left sterile.

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Don't tell me what diseases my children can or can't contract.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Yep. You don't want to vaccinate your kid? Fine. Then make sure he/she is removed from society.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see this thread develop and mature into something beautiful.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  8. Mr. Sunshine

Really, any reasonable human being that gives a shit about other humans, not to mention their own kids, realizes the public health hazard that not vaccinating creates.

Being an anti-vaccinator is about as arrogant and vain as an individual can get in modern-day society.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Can we place bets on who that'll be here? Because someone will.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If someone sends their kid to your kid's school without getting him or her vaccinated, but you had your kid vaccinated, what is the risk to your child?

11. Mr. Sunshine

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yep, that discusses herd immunity, as does this article about the Disneyland outbreak. The big point to remember is the vaccine is "only" 97 percent effective. (I put "Only" in quotes because 97 percent is actually a very high number.

Why Did Vaccinated People Get Measles at Disneyland? Blame the Unvaccinated | WIRED

So how does that explain what happened in Disneyland? If you have a group of 1,000 people concentrated in a small space—like oh, say, hypothetically, an amusement park—about 90 percent of them will be vaccinated (hopefully). One person, maybe someone who contracted measles on a recent trip to the Philippines, moves around, spreading the virus. Measles is crazy contagious, so of the 100 people who aren’t vaccinated, about 90 will get infected. Then, of the 900 people who are vaccinated, 3 percent—27 people—get infected because they don’t have full immunity.

old_tony likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted