1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just another campus rape??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cranberry, Jan 29, 2015.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I guess the campus rape problem has been so overstated and over-publicised that we hardly pay attention to the stories anymore.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/29/us/vanderbilt-rape-trial-didnt-stir-students-on-campus.html?_r=0

Somehow we missed this one yesterday, too:

Stanford students not shocked by campus rape report - SFGate

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Or maybe we don't give a shit outside of that region because it is a swimmer and not an athlete anyone outside of his parents have ever heard of

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That Vandy one was a doozy. Noteworthy because one of the players convicted did not touch the woman but rather recorded/watched and didn't intervene. Courts didn't buy that excuse.

There's a lot more rolling downhill in that case, including two more rape trials and a university investigation that could (should) fall squarely on James Franklin. Some alleged witness intimidation/obfuscation and bonus testimony about failed drug tests being ignored.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's what Drew did, too, if I recall.

5. LongTimeListener

That's a really bad analogy, seeing as how this Vandy trial played out in court and included testimony from the perpetrator himself, but OK if that's the drum you want to beat.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm just making fun of Rolling Stone.

7. LongTimeListener

All right, fair enough. That's always good sport.

Also I should amend, I'm not positive whether Vandenburg (the guy who egged everyone on and sent out videos) testified. I thought he did, but I can't find any writeup of that now. Nevertheless, his attorneys acknowledged his role but tried to argue that it didn't amount to rape. Of course, the attorneys also argued that the blame lies not with the sterling young men who did this but with the campus culture itself.

They shoulda been in Texas, where affluenza is a recognized ailment.

8. cranberry

Where's PW2? He usually has a lot to say about this topic.

JackReacher likes this.
  9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Rolling Stone's doing a profile on him ... should be on the stands in a couple of months.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

"YOU WANNA' TALK ABOUT (RAPE) CULTURE!???"

11. EddieM

EddieM Member

Even forgiving your insensitivity, that is a statistically ludicrous statement. We have hardly caught up to the problem, and bad reporting from Rolling Stone doesn't mean a culture problem doesn't exist.

12. cranberry

I'll try to keep that in mind, EddieM.

Draft saved Draft deleted