1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five decks over one leg?

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by forever_town, Apr 12, 2008.

1. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I don't mind three decks over two, but agree completely with one deck over anything three columns or more.

TarHeelMan likes this.
  2. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

One challenge headline writers have faced over the past several years has been the shrinking page. Today's papers are the equivalent of a column narrower than when I started 20 years ago.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

When I started a page was 78 picas wide.

Now it's 60.

What used to be 3 columns (38.5 picas) is now 4.

So in today's trimmed-down version of newspapers, 2 lines of a four-column head are perfectly acceptable.

4. TarHeelMan

TarHeelMan Member

Nothing worse than having a double deck head over 4 columns or more. I have seen a few times two decks over 6 columns. Not a good look at all!

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Whenever I have a page with no ads on it, I go with a five-column template instead of six. The text looks really crowded to me in a 9 1/2-pica wide column. In the five-column format, a column is 11 1/2 picas, so it's almost as wide as a column was (12) when I first started.

But I still can't stand a double-deck column over anything more than two columns, whether I use the five- or six-column layout.

I once took a photo of a recent edition laid over top of one from the 1970s. The recent one is exactly one column (70's version) narrower.

6. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

How about a four-decker in a two-column hole? Never seen it before, but you never know. Five-decker in one-column head is way too much, and a four-decker in a one-column space still seems a bit much. I prefer three-deckers in one column holes, and two- and three-deckers in two-column holes and two-deckers in three-column holes. Four- , Five- and Six-column holes are usually the norm for me as art headers (One-word head), accompanied with three-deck, one-column subhead.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

4 decks over 2 columns and 5 over 1 are a bit much. A 2-col, 4-deck hed looks like shit. I like 4 decks for 1-col heds. Unless it's a small point size, it's tough to write a 3-decker, but that would be the way I'd go if I can make it work. I think 4 decks looks a little better with our 3-line subheds.

8. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Yea, four decks for two columns is waaaaaay too much.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I think three is even pushing it, depending on the point size.

10. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

11. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

In retrospect, the three-column head for two-column hole is one deck too much. Too wordy. Clutters page design.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Nah, three decks over two columns is great if the story takes up a deep hole.
    Gives the rim some room to write a better hed. And two decks looks small atop a deep hole.
    Just don't let the hed size get too big. Three decks of 27 often looks better than two decks of 36.

Draft saved Draft deleted