1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pet allergies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Jan 28, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

We're considering getting a dog, but our choices are limited given my allergies. I know a few people who have dealt with this, but I also wanted to throw it out here for discussion.

I assume an allergy pill and/or peridodic allergy shots will do the trick. Anyone here been through that process? Any advice?

Thx.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

If your allergy isn't too severe, just regular cleaning of the house and the dog and limiting where the dog can go in the house, and maybe an inhaler, ought to do the trick. Petting the dog would probably trigger it, too.

If it's severe enough that you'd need antihistamines every day, or allergy shots, I'd maybe think about another pet option.

If not, rescue a beagle. They're awesome.

3. JackReacher

I'm in the process of finding an allergy doctor (allergist?) in the area. I'll know a lot more after that, I hope. If it can be managed without too much annoyance, beagles are for sure on my list, near the top.

Is the shedding with beagles as out of control as I hear, MC? That's also another issue, obviously.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Get a pug.

Or something like this:

[​IMG]

5. JackReacher

Ha. Pass.

6. Mr. Sunshine

A hairless dog solves your problem!

7. JackReacher

Solves one problem, that's for sure. Creates several more.

8. Mr. Sunshine

As long as you don't carry it around in your purse, no one will be the wiser. :)

JackReacher likes this.
  9. Mr. Sunshine

To be serious for a moment, as was mentioned it's the severity of the allergy that is key. I have a niece and nephew with pet allergies. The nephew can handle dogs and cats with limited aggravation and has had a number of pets, but the niece can't be in the same room as an animal for more than 5 minutes without problems.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That's exactly the reason why our first dog was an Irish terrier. A few other terriers work, too. Look for a dog that requires a haircut rather than a shedder. Poodles are recommended for people with allergies, too, but I couldn't bring myself to get a poodle.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Hairless is AWESOME!

Mr. Sunshine and JackReacher like this.
  12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Not sure who you heard that from, but beagles are pretty good with shedding. The biggest problems I had was their dirty paws because they're diggers. Also, one of them liked to roll around in her own shit, but that's a dog thing in general, not specific to any breed.

Vombatus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted