1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Super Bowl Media Day

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MNgremlin, Jan 27, 2015.

1. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

I'm curious about what everyone thinks about what it has become.

I'm torn. Part of me thinks it's become quite an event, while part of me is disgusted by the circus it has become, which is almost a mockery of those who actually are there to work.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I can see both sides of it.

I've been to quite a few of them and if you're trying to get stuff to write stories for the rest of the week, it's as annoying as anything can be.

I wonder what it takes to be turned down for a credential for media day. I haven't been in several years, but I can only imagine it's gotten worse.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A guy in my office forked out the $25 or whatever it was to sit in the stands in Indy and watch as a fan. Said it was pretty amusing. I'd rather be watching that hamster wheel than be on it, that's for sure.

4. RecoveringJournalist

No question. I have friends in radio who think it is the greatest thing in the world, but it's a completely different animal if you're trying to get several stories worth of quotes as well as write for the next day.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If your town's team isn't in it, Media Day is all right, since you're probably only writing one story. If it is in it, it's a nightmare, as you're trying to do 37 things at once talking to understandably distracted players and coaches.

6. RecoveringJournalist

Every time I was there I had at least three stories I had to get out of it.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

We need to play the RJ drinking game. Every humble brag or name drop take a shot.:)

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

I wish it was still just Picture Day.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There are two other days left for availability for reporters, so you don't have to do it all at Media Day no matter what the workload.

10. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

It's cool. He's in recovery.

11. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that depend on who you need and your deadline? If it's a big-name player, then he'll probably be made available. But some hometown guy -- or an assistant coach, coordinator, team staffer, etc. -- might not.

I had a blast amidst the Media Day chaos last year. I'm pretty sure we did a story on some of the costumed characters who thoroughly enjoy crashing the sportswriters' party.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's gotten to the point where the players have to just sit there and be mocked by weirdos looking to make a name. It looks more like a ComicCon these days than a sports event. I wouldn't make the "Media Day" mandatory for the players.

Draft saved Draft deleted