1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs at AL.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Jan 27, 2015.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Per Romenesko:

Some layoffs are taking place at AL.com (or have taken place). Word is two Mobile sports reporters were let go yesterday and an unspecified number of staffers were also dismissed.

Anyone have anything more to add?

2. spadjo martin

spadjo martin Member

My sources indicate between 14-16 staffers -- full- and part-time were cut. Two were from sports, one from the Mississippi bureau and one of the higher-ups in the Mobile hub who was the former sports editor there. I know some names, but don't feel comfortable posting them.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I'm sure the plagiarist and the person who hired her will survive.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  4. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Does this mean layoffs are coming to the other Advance places?

5. spadjo martin

spadjo martin Member

They did.

6. spadjo martin

spadjo martin Member

Not sure about other Advance properties. I was told it cuts were not due to economics. Of course, AL.com did not have a story on its cuts that I could find. I guess it will wait until somebody else writes it, then rewrite it and pass it off as its own reporting.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

We had a few job consolidations prior to the year's end, but the reality is our shop is too small to survive significant cutbacks. Of course, you never know.

8. bevo

bevo Member

Wasn't there a time when Advance wouldn't do layoffs? Then there was a giant bloodletting in 2007-08 when they transformed into a more "digital company"

9. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Those layoffs suck. Hate to hear about it for anyone. It's funny that they happened about 3 weeks after they sent Natalie Pierre to Pasadena to cover Florida State - NOT Alabama or Auburn - in the Rose Bowl.
    Oregon Ducks capitalize on Florida State mistakes, reach national championship game with 59-20 win | AL.com
    Also, the new hire went to Charlotte to cover FSU in the ACC title game. Florida State beats Georgia Tech, 37-35, to win 3d consecutive ACC Championship and secure playoff spot | AL.com
    They aren't slashing travel budget for Ms. Pierre, but they're slashing staff? Hmm........

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, for years there was something called the "Newhouse pledge," which was that you would never lose your job for financial and/or technological reasons.

It basically amounted to a job for life if you didn't do anything to embarrass the company and/or weren't totally incompetent.

But that was a long time ago, in more ways than one.

11. busch

busch Member

That is the Al.com way.

Different company, different time. Al.com is not the same thing as The Birmingham News. They killed The Birmingham News when they went to that three-day-a-week nonsense.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The only way I can see justifying this is that Florida State was a potential playoff opponent for Alabama, sort of an advance scouting sort of thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted