1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Yonkers?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 27, 2015.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Was just reading this story about David Simon's new show about housing desegregation in Yonkers in the '80s:

David Simon Does Not Care What You Think Is Cool About His TV Shows «

I've heard of Yonkers before. I guess I don't get it. It borders the Bronx but is not a part of NYC? How did this happen? Does NYC care about Yonkers? Wikipedia says in 1894 Yonkers, Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island voted on becoming part of NYC. Yonkers voted no.

Do they wish now they were part of NYC? Does NYC wish Yonkers was part of NYC?

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Snooty Westchester people pretend it's part of NYC, more like Northern Bronx.

3. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Snooty Westchester people would never live in Yonkers; that's for the poor relations. It's sort of like how snooty Bronx residents will all say they're from Riverdale, except when they want to remind everyone they live in New York City.

</Bronx girl>

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I thought it was a harness track?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It is, but it's named after the location.

6. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

For Jewish New Yorkers in the first half of the 20th century, as well as other ethnic groups, it was one of those towns where they worked up to from the Bronx or Brooklyn or wherever.

Basically, one of those iconic places from where you came/had to escape from or it was a stamp of your respectable lower middle-class identiy.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yonkers is kind of the Hoboken of New York, but without any of the charm that Hoboken has managed to capture over the last few decades.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  8. joe king

joe king Active Member

As David Letterman used to say, "I don't have a joke here, I just like to say 'Yonkers.' "

Songbird likes this.
  9. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Yonkers is the fourth-largest city in New York State by population, smaller than Rochester but larger than Syracuse. Hoboken, despite its population density, is only one square mile. There is one particular section of Yonkers which is trying to redevelop into a nightlife hub, but gentrification has been extremely slow.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

True that. Hoboken is much, much smaller. Yonkers kind of sprawls, at least that is my impression of it from blowing through as quickly as I can when I head up the thruway.

I was thinking in terms of the "Near New York, but not New York" places, not so much their relative sizes. In the 80s, Hoboken was a hole. In the 80s, Yonkers was a hole. Today, Hoboken is actually kind of charming. Today, Yonkers is Yonkers.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's a town outside of NYC that is part of the greater NY metropolitan area.

I have an aunt who lives there.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm the same. Love to say Yonkers. Wrote something about a customer from Yonkers. One of those great sounding towns.

Draft saved Draft deleted