1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014’s Employment Boom Almost Entirely Due to the Expiration of Unemployment Benefits

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 26, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, should we admit that ending the extended benefits was a good thing:

That’s the finding of a new NBER working paper from three economists — Marcus Hagedorn, Kurt Mitman, and Iourii Manovskii — who contend that the ending of federally extended unemployment benefits across the country at the end of 2013 explains much of the labor-market boom in 2014.

About 60 percent of the job creation in 2014, 1.8 million jobs, they find, can be attributed to the end of the extended-benefits program. That’s a huge amount, and suggests that long-term unemployment benefits, while there’s a good charitable case for them, could have played a big role in the ongoing lassitude of our labor market. (Indeed, an earlier working paper from a few of the same authors argued that extended benefits raised the unemployment rate during the Great Recession by three percentage points; see a summary of that paper here.)

Study: 2014's Employment Boom Almost Entirely Due to the Expiration of Unemployment Benefits Obama Wanted to Renew | National Review Online

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Sounds conclusive, direct and especially unbiased.

3. YankeeFan

Or, just logical, and expected.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

$20,000 from Mommy and Daddy comes in handy too.

5. YankeeFan

Is this a shot at me?

From you? In respect to getting a hand up in your chosen line of work? Really?

That might be the funniest thing ever.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Jesus, the cheap shots that people will take here...

I learned a decade ago, never to venture anything about your personal life here. It will come back and bite you, by very bitter people.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Bootstraps!! Self-Reliance!! Initiative!! Hard Work!!

8. YankeeFan

It's so funny. It wasn't $20,000.

People act like $10,000 is a million fucking dollars. If my business had failed, I would have still been able to pay them back -- by, you know, getting a job.

And, I could have liquidated all my savings, or raised the money by other means. I was a good risk.

If you can't raise $10,000 from friends and family to start a business, it's not because you only know poor people, it's because either your business idea sucks, or you suck.

Joe Williams likes this.
  9. YankeeFan

Please Starman, tell us again the story of how you cracked into the newspaper business despite no connections in the business.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Regarding the paper, so they're saying it's the unemployed's fault that the jobs weren't previously created?

Regarding YF, that thread from years ago when he wrote about his business, then revealed his parents loaned him the start-up money for it was one of the funniest threads I've seen on here.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Looks like YF's just a little touchy on that subject.

12. YankeeFan

Not at all.

If you know the facts, it's because I told you them.

But for Starman to question it? That's rich.

Draft saved Draft deleted