1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Walking while black at Yale University

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 25, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Charles M. Blow @CharlesMBlow
    · 16 hours ago

So, my son, a 3rd year chem major at Yale was just accosted - at GUN POINT - by a Yale policeman bc he "fit the description" of a suspect...

He was let go when they realized he was a college student and not a criminal ( he was leaving the library!) He's shaken, but I'm fuming!

#ICantBreathe #BlackLivesMatter

This is exactly why I have NO PATIENCE for ppl trying to convince me that the fear these young blk men feel isn't real #RacialBattleFatigue

I'm still trying to calm myself down...

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And, there's already a problem with Blow's narrative:

BTW, my son corrected me: He's a Biology major, not a chemistry major. Dad's fault... :)

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Not discounting what happened but man, what a coincidence that it just so happens to be the son of a NYT columnist.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

New Haven's a shit hole. You couldn't pay me to send kids to Yale. The city is just to dangerous.
    One or two blocks from Yale campus is complete urban blight.

It does sound like the cop acted stupidly though.

5. Boom_70

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Boom sounds like a typical Greenwichite, aghast to even drive through Bridgeport or Hartford or New Haven. I lived in New Haven for 14 years, my kids spent their early childhood years there and my daughter eagerly returned to attend Yale, which wasn't her only great choice). I don't fear for her any more than I would in NYC or White Plains or New Rochelle.

Yes, it has some really tough neighborhoods and crime, like all Northeast urban centers (hint: don't go up Dixwell Ave.). Overall, it's a smart, progressive city that's dominated by the Yale campus with beautiful neighborhoods, architecture, restaurants and shops. I lived in Westville, walking distance of Yale Bowl and could easily have remained there forever had I not taken a job back in NYC.

The incident with Blow's kid being detained by campus police stems from an on-campus burglar who had gained access to one of the colleges. From the story:

7. Boom_70

Just sick of our State government taxing the crap out of Fairfield County to fund the dumps they call Hartford/ Bridgeport/ New Haven. The only good
    thing in New Haven is Pepe's Pizza and thankfully they opened a branch in Fairfield so that I can avoid New Haven.

If it's so smart and progressive why are they not able to get rid of the urban blight?

8. Songbird

9. Songbird

Because you can insert any number of cities and schools into the equation.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Because a lot of poor people live there?

11. Boom_70

An incident that happened at Yale back in the early 70's perhaps left an indelible impression on me.
    I was still in middle school but a kid from my area went to Yale and was shot and killed walking back to
    his apartment. The kid was like the Chip Hilton of our town. Captain of every sport, Class valedictorian,
    and idolized by young and old. I remember the shock when the news hit.

He would have been around 60 today but never got the chance.

12. Boom_70

Again if they are so smart and progressive they should be able to figure out a way to better
    assist the poor.

I would even settle for better parking. Ever try to go to an event at the Yale Aquatics center?

Draft saved Draft deleted