1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Paul Needell AKA Shockey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  2. casty33

casty33 Active Member

3. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Paul -- aka shockey, and there is no doubt he would not mind a bit being identified -- bared his soul to us so often on this forum. Even if you weren't blessed to meet him in person, you learned through his writing here about his three boys, his lovely wife, his passion for football and especially the NY Jets, his long friendship with Roger Goodell, his struggle with MS and, definitely, his love of sports writing. He'll be so missed. This column by Gary Myers nails it.
    Myers: Ex-Newser Needell had Jets covered - NY Daily News

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

See ya next lifetime, shockey. Thanks for the interactions here.

5. casty33

casty33 Active Member

This is terrible news. Paul was an excellent reporter and writer, an NFL expert and a good friend. And he was only 57. Known as Jeremy Shockey to this board, he suffered from multiple sclerosis for many years and told me he was bed ridden the last time we talked. I also have MS and have had it since 1991 so, obviously, mine isn't as bad as Paul's was. I'm getting around much better these days and while MS has no cure and can be a life altering situation, it's not going to kill me. I'm 68 and doing all right thanks to physical therapy and exercise plus good friends helping me.
    So rest in peace Paul. No more pain. My condolences to his family.

Dan Castellano

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My condolences to his family and many friends.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So sad. Way too young.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

When the players you covered (like Lageman and O'Brien in the original link) say those kinds of things about you, you know you made an impact.

RIP shockey.

Baron Scicluna and gingerbread like this.
  9. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

RIP, way too young. Feel like I knew him from his writing on here.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Always liked shockey's posts. RIP shockey.

murphyc, slappy4428 and gingerbread like this.
  11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Agreed. He was an open book on here, in the best sense of the word. RIP.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Thx GB. I did not think it was my place to put his SJ handle out there but had hoped that someone who knew him would.
    RIP Shockey. Sad that I never had the chance to know the man other than here at SJ. When I read of
    his passing I immediately thought of his 3 boys . It felt like we all watched them grow up from reading
    Shockey's loving stories about them. He truly loved those boys and was clearly a wonderful dad.

Draft saved Draft deleted