1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New forum software

Discussion in 'SJ Site News & Suggestions' started by Jeff, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I haven't gotten repeatedly slammed, it's just occasionally. So I figure it must be a certain ad doing it. I have pop up windows turned off in Safari too, although this is different - a redirect to the App Store. I'll be on the look out and see if I can spot the ad that is doing the redirection. Will let you know.

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I keep getting redirected to bandwagonboy.com or charliedaniels.com.

I started Happy Valentine's Day threads at both joints.

Kidding, no redis today.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Bandwagon Boy doesn't seem to be posting as often these days. Too bad.

4. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

You're a looser!

You get it, I know. Not many here do, anymore.

Nothing lasts forever.

How many Senior, Plank-Carrying Members have we left?

Onward.

cranberry likes this.
  5. Vombatus

Draft Kings is another ad/site that redirects to the App Store. I haven't seen it in several days though.

Regarding Lyft, someone notified them back in December via Twitter. This is sort of funny, and not very diplomatic:

@lyft get rid of the fucking ad redirects all over the internet to the app store.... Or we're gonna have a problem.
    I don't want your app
    2:08am - 21 Dec 14

6. Jeff

Jeff Administrator Staff Member

That's insane that they didn't put a stop to it. I might ping a few reporter friends of mine in the tech space and see if they're interested in covering. Lyft is somewhat of a darling in the tech space, and having them just run tons of spam doesn't reflect well on them.

7. Vombatus

Jeff,

Is there a way to mark individual threads as completely read? Like a button or something to click?

Right now, I guess I can accomplish that by going to the last page of a thread and scrolling down it, then going back out to the thread list. Scrolling down may not even be necessary.

Thanks in advance,
    VB

8. Jeff

I don't think there's any other way to mark individual threads as read.

You can mark all threads in a single forum read by clicking "Mark Forums Read"... you'll get a dialogue box that asks if you want to mark just that forum or all forums as read.

I'm not sure how you use the forum, but maybe skim all the threads then mark each forum read?

If it's really a pain, let me know and I'll check more into this plugin: Mark Thread as Read | XenForo Community

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Crash, crash, crash. This site really hates Chrome.

10. Jeff

Eh, no. I'm running Chrome as my primary driver and have no problems. Also doesn't seem to be affecting other users either--Google analytics doesn't show a higher bounce rate for Chrome users.

I suspect it's a poorly coded browser extension of some sort. Try turning off all addons, restart chrome (restart your computer just to be sure actually), and then see if the site is still acting up.

11. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I've run into the same issues with Chrome. Crash over and over when going to new pages. Not every page but a lot. Will try the addons thing and see if it helps.

12. Jeff

Let me know if you keep experiencing problems after trying with all addons disabled.

Draft saved Draft deleted