1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cubs' front office executive charged with three felonies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WCIBN, Jan 24, 2015.

1. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

Former MLB pitcher Ted Lilly has been charged with three felony counts of insurance fraud. Sounds like he bought a $200K RV, didn't insure it and then damaged it. Didn't report or repair the damage and then bought insurance after the fact and then put in a claim for the damage.

How dumb can you be to not insure a $200K vehicle when you have his net worth? No thoughts to the liability you'd face if someone was hurt in an accident of your vehicle? Then compound the situation by trying to commit insurance fraud. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

You'd think a guy that grossed over $80 million in his career would be smarter than this or at least have a money manager/agent/advisor to handle this for him. I'd expect a teenage to try to do something this dumb but a 39-year old multi-millionaire family man should know better.

KSBY Exclusive: Former professional MLB player charged with insurance fraud in SLO County

Ted Lilly Charged with Felony Insurance Fraud: Latest Details and Reaction | Bleacher Report

Not mention in any of the stories I've seen is that Lilly is still listed on the Cubs website as a "Special Assistant to the President/General Manager" (he was hired last March). Front Office | cubs.com: Team

How soon will the Cubs part ways with him or will Ricketts/Theo/Jed standby their man until the matter is resolved in a court of law?

2. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Wonder how the insurance company found out the damage was prior? Doesnt seem like it would be too hard to mask that.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If he had the RV for any length of time without getting insurance, then all of the sudden buys insurance and makes a claim, that isn't just a red flag. That's a giant neon sign. I would also guess there would be no properly dated accident report or other documentation, and witnesses aren't going to lie to an insurance company to keep it going.

Probably a pretty easy case for the company, actually.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

According to one of the stories I read, the insurance company found out about it after the bodyshop put the damage quote in a computer system that insurance companies can access.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Wait, Ted Lilly made $80 million? Ted Lilly??

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not bad for a 130-113 record with a 4.14 ERA.

bigpern23 likes this.
  7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I bet he forgot to empty the shitter

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I gotta get my kid to start throwing lefty.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

His RV looks pretty messed up:
    [​IMG]

10. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

His mistake was getting the quote before getting the insurance

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Not bad at all. I seem to remember a time when a 4.14 ERA would get you sent to the minors.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

They just re-signed perennial flop Daniel Bard. That should result in additional charges to someone in the front office.

Vombatus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted