1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New forum software

Discussion in 'SJ Site News & Suggestions' started by Jeff, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I've been using Chrome with desktop iOS and it works relatively fine though the page has crashed a few times the last few days. I just reload it.

So I opened Safari as well just for this site except look at the Deflategate thread. I just posted a Boston Globe FB link that also posted the video.

The video won't play within the thread on Safari, but it does play on Chrome. Any chance to fix that?

And can you work in some coding so we can embed Vines? Thanks.

2. Jeff

Jeff Administrator Staff Member

Probably not, as that's likely a browser issue or a Facebook embed code issue, neither of which I control.

Yes, I'll look into this. Might not get to it until next week though.

Also saw your suggestion about changing how stickies look. It's a good suggestion, plus as YF pointed out, we should cut down on the stickies to only the most essential... I know Ragu removed a few, and I'll try and look through in the next week or two and see if any can be removed. As far as actually changing how they look, I'm horrible at design, so always cautious about changing visual appearance. But there's probably a subtle way we can make them distinctly different.

3. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

After a week with no issues, having trouble on iOS again. Using Safari and logged in. Getting redirects to iPhone apps like Lyft.

4. Jeff

Vines auto-embed now. Just paste the link and it should work automagically. I also updated all old posts that contained vines so they're all embedded as well.

If you have other sites you want, just let me know--it's not that hard to add them.

cc @Songbird

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I am getting redirects to Lyft using Safari and iOS. Annoying. Guess it has happened about a dozen times since the switchover.

7. Jeff

Soundcloud is added, along with a number of other sites. Because of the way code works, it's difficult to embed random sites... they need to support embeds. The site you linked to looks like it's embedding from another site, and those almost always aren't possible, only the original source site generally supports embeds.

Ugh. I'm really sorry guys. There's not a lot that I can do other disable them for phones (a little tricky to make that work), or completely turn off ads which I'd prefer to avoid, for obvious reasons.

What version of iOS are you running? Looks like Safari in iOS 8 blocks these redirects: iOS 8 Safari can block ads from automatically redirecting to the App Store | TUAW: Apple news, reviews and how-tos since 2004

For Google Chrome, looks like they pushed an update to Android a few days ago, and a user who was reporting redirects on Android said they're fixed now.

@cranberry has Google pushed the update to iPhone? I have an Android, so can't test iOS myself.

I'm also reaching out through the backchannel to see if I can get Lyft to get rid of whatever subcontractor is doing this. I suspect they're paying someone for app installs, not realizing they're paying a spammer. It won't completely stop the ads, but it'll hopefully cut down on a few...

8. Jeff

I have disabled everything but Adsense for Android and iOS devices.

Google says they've fixed the issue, so I want to doublecheck whether these redirects are still happening before shutting off Adsense.

@cranberry @Vombatus @lcjjdnh @Killick @Machine Head can you test if you're still getting redirects?

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I use iOS 7 and have been told not to upgrade yet. I will check to see if they (IT) are now recommending to proceed to 8.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm on iOS now. So far, so good.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I'm using a hybrid of OS/ warp 2 and Netscape java script with no problems

12. Jeff

No worries. Completely understand. Hopefully restricting to Adsense only solves this, and/or Chrome on iOS has been/gets updated to prevent it. Blocking specific ads is like finding a needle in the Mariana trench, so the browser is the going to be the most reliable place to stop these auto-redirects.

Draft saved Draft deleted