1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selig the greatest commisioner in baseball history? Umm, no.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Who is, then? I suppose Landis is the chalk pick, but after that it has just been one stooge after another. You're overestimating what any of the other commissioners actually did.

Selig's vision about cable and the Internet has made the game healthier than ever financially.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

It's easy to make the claim when there's only been nine and the other eight have been:

Landis
    Chandler
    Frick
    Eckert
    Kuhn
    Ueberroth
    Giamatti
    Vincent

The three prior to Bud served half as many years as he did combined and throw in Eckert and half of his competition for the title combined were in charge for 13 years, compared to Bud's 20 alone.

Rankings off the top of my head:

Selig
    Landis
    Chandler
    Kuhn
    Frick
    Eckert
    Giamatti
    Ueberroth

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Landis is second only to Abner Doubleday in the running for most overrated figure in baseball history.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Hey, but they both have cool names. I guess the growth of the game is what matters, and he did bring in some gutsy innovations given the baseball purists. But to say he tamed the PED scourge is a little odd, considering he was the commissioner almost that entire era. Still tough to say any of the others have done more. And the stretch of labor peace is a pretty big one too.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

BDC, all that is mitigated by the pox that is continual interleague play. No more than nine games a season should be interleague games. Now get off my lawn.

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Not sure I agree. Landis deserves credit for cleaning up what had become a tremendously corrupt sport when he was asked to become the first commissioner. PEDs are a minor blip compared to the way things were pre-1920. The Black Sox Scandal was just the tip of the iceberg as far as cheating and throwing games. After Landis banned the Black Sox for life, many of the game's biggest stars, including Ty Cobb, were in fear that their actions in the first two decades of the 20th century would come to light.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Need to keep in mind that Landis was a racist who perpetuated the color barrier. He also killed the Federal League by failing to rule in the league's anti-trust case against the established leagues. His "iron hand" handling of the Black Sox scandal is a cute narrative.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The Federal League criticism would make Landis an overrated judge. He was still several years away from being commissioner. You can argue his handling of the case is why he actually became commissioner, I guess, but that is the way the world was in those days, and any alternative commissioner you can name wouldn't have done anything to hurt the reserve clause, either. It was incumbent on the players to fight that (which the eventually did). It's unreasonable to expect that the owners to willingly give that up.

To me, it's kind of like arguing that Lincoln was overrated as a president because he did nothing to give women the vote. Not exactly analogous, but the point is, you have to look at the whole picture.

10. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

It is not a great list of leaders. Even sadder is if Selig were No. 1. The guy that brought in and ignored the PED era (but likes to claim how wonderful he is for the great testing now), the All-Star Game tie fiasco and "winning team" which followed it and no World Series in 1994. Let me repeat that last one, no World Series in 1994. Imagine season with no Super Bowl. "Lords of the Realm" really clued me in to what kind of guy he is. I also have from first-hand experience how thin-skinned he is. As someone who loves baseball, I won't miss him and am not looking forward to the day when he's in the Hall of Fame, because he will be.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Pretty hard to say he "brought in" the steroid era when the conventional wisdom (which is pretty much undisputed) is that it started in the mid to late '80s.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Also, fans don''t give two shits about the "steroid" era. It's the media who romanticized it and now look foolish who care the most. Bastardizing a useless all star game is also quite low on the care meter.

Draft saved Draft deleted