1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drinking coffee is associated with a slightly reduced risk for skin cancer, a new study has found.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 22, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The news only gets better:

Drinking coffee is associated with a slightly reduced risk for skin cancer, a new study has found.

Researchers used health and dietary data on 447,357 non-Hispanic whites ages 50 to 71 who were cancer free at the start of the study and followed them for an average of 10 years. Over the course of the study, the researchers identified 2,904 cases of melanoma, the most serious kind of skin cancer.

The more coffee consumed, the lower the risk. Drinking four or more cups of coffee was associated with a 20 percent risk reduction compared with those who drank none. The association did not hold for decaffeinated coffee or for melanoma in situ, melanoma in its earliest stages that affects only the top layer of skin.

http://nyti.ms/1E5Qfpw

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

LOL at "non-Hispanic whites."

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

None of these threads will get any traction until you find one that says drinking coffee increases the risk of voting Democrat.

JackReacher likes this.
  4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

That's only true for those who drink decaf. :D

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How dare you bring politics into a coffee thread of all things!

Coffee is decidedly non-political. Coffee unites us. It's part of what makes us American.

There's no better way to reach a consensus than to sit down and discuss things over a hot cup of Joe.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Pushing the gay agenda again, I see.

FileNotFound and JackReacher like this.
  7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Coffee meet screen. Well, at least my screen won't have skin cancer.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But on a (semi) serious note ... occasionally I will hear people talk about how they kicked their caffeine habit, and all I can think is "Why?" All the research shows it's quite a good habit. My wife used to work for the Heart Association, and every conference she attended there were like five studies about how awesome coffee is.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I tend to get a headache if I go most of a day without drinking coffee, so that can be a drawback. But as long as I don't get stuck in the Australian Outback or something, I can usually remedy that problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted