1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reporter Resigns After Publisher Says No to 3% Raise

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riptide, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It won't change a thing in the world of newspapers, but now
    he can go into PR – er, "brand journalism" – and get a big raise.

I didn’t leave the Telegram & Gazette with any hard feelings and my departure was not intended as some kind of provocative “fuck you” gesture. The publisher is a likable guy, and our meeting was cordial. I wish him and all my former colleagues well under the GateHouse ownership. I loved the job and was one of the T&G’s most-ardent promoters and defenders in the city. But I just couldn’t avoid any longer the unwelcome truth that I valued the job more highly than the company valued me.

» Worcester Telegram & Gazette reporter resigns after publisher says no to 3% raise JIMROMENESKO.COM

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I don't blame him, but this seems like it was for show.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Good for him for standing up for himself, but unless he has a lot saved up, he's taking a helluva risk.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Not really. It won't be difficult to replace whatever meager wages he was getting. He did also say he has a good amount of savings and no wife or children to think about.

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I'd be curious how many people here ever asked for a raise unless you had another job offer that you were willing to take if they said no.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Good for him. Based on his note to Romanesko it sounds like he's too bright and talented for that rag and whatever it was paying him, anyway.

I would hope the answer is almost everyone. You never asked for a raise?

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Right. ... Do you mean ask for a raise. ... or give a "raise or I quit" ultimatum?

8. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

Sometimes I feel like I would like enough if one to cover the hike in my health insurance rate.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

For a lot of people, especially at a paper that is corporately-owned, they're told that the only time a raise comes up is at the annual review. And nowadays, that's if they have an annual review.

10. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Early in my career, a colleague of mine told me she was coming in to ask for a beat change and a raise. She had an offer from another paper and was going to use it as leverage.

I told her, "I hope you get it, because I'll be bummed if you leave." and she said, "Well, I'm bluffing. I don't want to leave, so hopefully, this will work."

It did. She got a raise, exactly what she asked for and a beat change. It was a good move by the paper.

A few weeks later, another writer followed suit and tried to do the same thing she did and failed miserably. He ended up quitting and taking a job he really didn't want because he didn't feel like he could work for a boss who denied him a raise.

11. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

How many of us are getting 3 percent raises these days?

At the major metro I used to work for, my friends who've survived downsizing say they've gotten one 3 percent raise since 2008, and also a restoration of the company 401K match (which management tried to pitch as a "raise"). That's all.

At my current shop, we've gotten raises the past two years, but they've been about 1 percent. That breaks down to about $10 a week for the average reporter and copy editor there, not including withholding for taxes, health insurance, etc.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

"But I just couldn’t avoid any longer the unwelcome truth that I valued the job more highly than the company valued me."

That quote exactly sums up why I quit my job a little more than a year ago, without anything else lined up. I'd gone more than five years without a raise -- as had at least 95 percent of the folks at the paper -- and I just decided that I'd had enough of killing myself for people who didn't seem to appreciate it. Being single and debt free, with some savings, made it possible to bail like I did. Best decision I've made in my adult life.

Draft saved Draft deleted