1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New forum software

Discussion in 'SJ Site News & Suggestions' started by Jeff, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Jeff

Jeff Administrator Staff Member

Ugh. I hate those.

If you notice ads that do any of the following, let me know--they shouldn't be happening:
    - automatic redirects
    - auto-expanding bigger than the size of the ad "frame". I'm okay with ads that expand when you roll your mouse over them, but only if you've actually moved your mouse over them.
    - auto-playing audio (I hate these). I'm okay with auto-playing video, as long as it's muted.
    - any kind of popup/interstitial. I might turn on a popup for guests at some point, but only for guests, and I'd probably frequency cap them to once every 24 hours.

These are all turned off by default and I haven't enabled them (I just doublechecked), so anything showing up is violating the ad network policies. The ad buyer will be banned from the network as soon as someone reports them.

In order to report these to the ad networks, I need a screenshot of the ad or even better grab the ad url. Don't click on the ad--that gets counted as a fraudulent click. Right-click and select "Copy target link" (cc @SnarkShark )

As far as the targeted links, I'll turn the frequency down from "Default" to "Lite", and we'll see how it goes.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  2. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but on my iPhone, when I open a thread or click to the next page in a thread, I keep getting redirected to random app download pages in the app store - Lyft, Gilt and Uber. I can stop the redirect if I hit the x in the address bar at just the right time, but it's a huge pain and extremely annoying.

cranberry and YankeeFan like this.
  3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Me, too. This probably happened six time yesterday and once (Lyft) a moment ago. I assume it's because of the placement of the horizontal ad space near but not at the top of the page. While easy enough to navigate around on a laptop or desktop, this fills nearly the entire mobile screen, making it close to impossible to scroll down without touching the ad.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I view SJ on Chrome and it crashes just about every time I use it for more than 5 minutes or so. FYI I have 2 ad-blockers installed, which may be tripping things up? Or more likely a script somewhere.

5. Jeff

Is it an automatic redirect or do you think it's because you're accidentally touching the ad as @cranberry suggested? My hunch is it's a spammy automatic redirect, but if it's accidental clicking I can respace things so that doesn't happen.

Last night I fiddled with the code a bunch and made it so the ads adjust to the sizing of the page--if you're on mobile, you shouldn't see the massive ads.

Hmm... I view SJ on Chrome, and not having any issues with ads enabled. I do notice that with ads enabled, if I open a ton of tabs things slow down because all the ads are getting loaded, but if I keep it to 5-10 I'm fine.

Are you on Windows or Mac?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  6. cranberry

Jeff, you're correct, It was an auto redirect -- it's happened a bunch of times this afternoon again even though I was careful not to touch the ad.

7. Jeff

This is one of those times when it sucks to be right. The spammers keep shifting to new domains and the ad networks aren't staying on top of it.

So what I'm going to do is temporarily disable ads for anyone who's posted at least once. Hopefully this makes your lives easier until the ad networks get things sorted out. I'll try turning them on again in a week or two and hopefully it's not such a problem then.

You will have to login for it to take effect though. Hopefully you don't hit a redirect ad when you first hit the homepage before you have a chance to login.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Mac. Yosemite.

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'm curious: What are the definitions of the levels of board membership? Are the designations based on the number of posts? How recently the posts have occurred? The number of complaints against a poster? The number of times someone has outed themselves, or been outed, so that their identity is pretty common knowledge?

How, most specifically, does one become a "well-known" member?

10. Jeff

A couple of days ago, Google fixed the main vulnerability that spammers were using to create ads that auto-redirected the viewer--it was a problem with Flash-based ads. Since then the only folks who have reported issues to me about ads automatically redirecting them are using the Chrome browser on iOS devices.

So I've posted a notice to avoid using the Chrome/iOS and re-enabled ads for registered users.

If you are still encountering spammy redirects, and you are using something other than the Chrome/iOS combo, let me know so I can look into it. Very curious to hear if anyone is having problems with Safari on iOS.

Sorry this has been such a hassle. Also, if you notice ads that auto-play sound, grab the url of them so I can report them to my account reps, as they are violating TOS.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  11. cranberry

Hopefully that's gets fixed soon. I won't be logging on with IOS until then.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Jeff, can you add coding so we can embed Vines?

Draft saved Draft deleted