1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Billy Crystal thinks gay sex scenes are a little to much for him

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 19, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Can't wait to hear the apology for this:

Billy Crystal, who played one of the first openly gay characters on TV in the Seventies, told the Television Critics Association that gay scenes aren't "to his taste".

Speaking during a panel interview in Pasadena, the actor said: "Sometimes I think: 'Ah that's too much for me'.

"Sometimes, it’s just pushing it a little too far for my taste and I’m not going to reveal to you which ones they are. I hope people don't abuse it and shove it in our face to the point where it feels like an every-day kind of thing," Crystal added.

Billy Crystal: 'Stop shoving gay sex scenes in my face' - People - News - The Independent

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I know what he means. Girl-on-girl is SO gross. I vomited when Winona Ryder and Jennifer Aniston kissed on Friends.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I don't have any problem with what he said. It's not for him. So what?

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I want to see Desi on his knees again with Brian's daughter forcing anus cake down his throat.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It is an everyday thing whether you like it or not.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But it's an honest reaction too -- and to a large degree the movement has depended on support from people who feel that way. Especially for older people, this is a very foreign thing that goes against decades of what they've been taught was acceptable.

I'll admit it took me awhile not to be jarred by the unfamiliar sight. If you watched Brokeback Mountain and weren't uncomfortable, you're a better man than I am. I've been "cured" so to speak, but others' mileage may vary. As long as people recognize that it's their own hang-up and shouldn't affect the rights of gay people, it's an OK compromise.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I agree with all of that.

I also am uncomfortable with a lot of hetero's kissing as well.

8. RecoveringJournalist

Maybe I missed it, but given how everyone tends to overreact to any comment that might imply they're not 100 percent on-board and 100 percent comfortable with any and everything on TV and in the movies, I'm surprised we don't have a thread here dedicated to Aikman's comments about Skip Bayless. Deitsch had a story over the weekend where Aikman said he's still made about Bayless' book from almost 20 years ago and in the interview, Aikman seems to imply that homosexuality is a choice.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Can we trade gay sex scenes in exchange for him blubbering about all things Yankees and Mickey Mantle?

10. RecoveringJournalist

I'll be the first to admit that Crystal is a bore. I saw an ad yesterday during one of the games that he's doing a TV show with Olaf on FX.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Guy was funny for 10 minutes in the '70s and he flipped that into a 40-year career.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Don't be dismissing When Harry Met Sally.

HC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted