1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bleacher Report Training Programs

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Bleacher Report, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Bleacher Report

Bleacher Report New Member

Bleacher Report attracts over 35+ million sports fans every month across all digital media screens with its fun, comprehensive, and entertaining content. We are extremely passionate about sports and connecting millions of people to the teams and topics they love.

Bleacher Report currently has two paid training programs for sports media students and aspiring professionals.

Advanced Program in Sports Media: Participants receive thorough schooling in the nuances of 21st-century sports reporting, with stipends paid for the completion of weekly training modules and an option to earn full or partial course credit for their work. Upon completing the program, all graduates are considered for paid positions in B/R's high-profile Featured Columnist Program.

Advanced Program in Editing and Content Management: Participants receive thorough schooling in the first principles and best practices of digital content management via a blend of in-depth training and hands-on learning, with stipends paid for the completion of weekly training modules and an option to earn full or partial course credit for their work. The experience prepares participants to fulfill a range of possible editorial responsibilities—primarily copy editing, but also content moderation, writer evaluation and supervision—in long-term positions at B/R or elsewhere.

All else being equal, administrators give weighted preference to candidates with the most extensive journalism experience.

Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, so there's never a bad time to throw your hat in the ring.

For more information and to apply: Advanced Program in Sports Media | Advanced Program in Editing and Content Management

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This doesn't sound shady at all.

From B/r's own description of a "Featured Columnist."

"Standout FCs routinely get paid for their work in covering the biggest events on the sports calendar. Even better, the best of the best earn their livings as full-time B/R staff writers."

Routinely, huh?

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Okay, how about professional journalists who want to write for BR? Are we disqualified?

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

who farted?

5. Mira

Mira Member

Has anyone gone through the Bleacher Report training program, and could share their experiences?

6. Been there, done that a couple years ago when I was still in college.

If you're looking for a bunch of reads and reader comments? Absolutely worth it. If you're looking for a serious resume builder and a chance to get paid? Not at all.

I have managed to get a couple contract positions that run about 6-8 months with a pretty legit monthly paycheck. However, that was more due to me constantly hounding every editor whose e-mail I could find rather than my experience through this fancy name for an internship of theirs.

My 2 cents.

7. Mira

Mira Member

Thanks for passing on feedback, Jim. How is your contract writing slot going with Bleacher Report?

8. jsimp

jsimp Member

Are people who have already graduated from college eligible to apply for this position?

9. Bleacher Report

Bleacher Report New Member

Yes, graduates are eligible to apply to either program.

10. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

But why would they?

11. EddieM

EddieM Member

I would say ... tread carefully.

12. ^I would go further and say avoid...unless you're still in college or high school and just trying to get some experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted