1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So, if you're not going to tip the pizza delivery guy...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by murphyc, Jan 15, 2015.

1. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Some less-than-smart employees at a used car lot in Massachusetts paid for pizza, seemingly giving a tip of $7 and change. They then call back the pizza place and demand the driver come back and give the money back. Driver does, confused as to why they gave him the tip and now want it back. Employees treat him like a jerk and make more rude comments after he leaves.
    For grins and giggles, they film the encounter and post it on their YouTube page. Video goes viral and, predictably, backfires in a big way.

Story: http://www.boston.com/…/w…/zXO7rV6jreriD63xG0bj5L/story.html
    Video:

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Between that Hah-vad prof trying to put the screws on the Chinese restaurant, and these idiots... Boston looks like a wonderful place to work in customer service.

D-3 Fan likes this.
  3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I delivered pizza and sandwiches in college. It paid for everything -- of course tuition was much lower 20-25 years ago. I cleared about $600 a week, in cash, in one of America's best college towns.

This video pisses me off especially because it occured in a business and not, say, a college apartment full of drunks or a fraternity house.

I remembered one late when these five assholes were acting like Vince Vaughn in Swingers to the pizza guy (me). Made me go up three flights of stairs instead of just coming down -- after slipping all over their icy sidewalk. No tip. They were taunting me and this had happened before at this place.

I simply said, "I'm surprised you would be so rude to someone who makes your food. Think about that."

They never called us again.

D-3 Fan likes this.
  4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I never worked as a delivery guy, waiter, or anything in which tips were involved. This...is unforgivable in my book.

As an older guy, I have a lot more empathy and support those in customer service, because I have friends and acquaintances who not only bust their asses, they love what they do.

5. poindexter

I bet that dump of a used car graveyard is out of business by the end of the year.

6. poindexter

From cnn:
    One female employee follows Tansey out of the office, saying to him, "Out the door before I put my foot in your a**," which prompts her co-workers to erupt in laughter.

That woman's employment has since been terminated, according to Batista's statement. One of those involved was not an employee, he said.

I am fascinated by this story. I cannot emphasize enough how professional that pizza delivery guy is. Never gets ruffled, very logical.. jeez, I would love to have that guy working for me.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

When I was in school, a pizza delivery person (not me) had urine dumped on him while delivering at a fraternity house. The person who did it probably runs a Fortune 500 company today.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

The Yelp attacks are pretty funny. Completely put the ratings for that place in the shitter.

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Looks like they have 2,222 reviews (when I looked a minute ago); only two of them are from before Jan. 14.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A poster on the story linked the Facebook page of one of the men. Hilarity ensues.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted