1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Free-range kids

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by trifectarich, Jan 15, 2015.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Moms suck about this. (I know of no dads who have these worries. They might be out there, I just don't know them.)

You should see the looks and hear the questions I'd get when my 11-year-old son would show up at a friend's house a mile away on his bike.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Sounds like these people have carefully weighed the risks and rewards of their parenting decisions and should be left alone by CPS. It's pretty clear these people are not neglecting their children, and the kids are not in any imminent danger.

I say this as someone who wished CPS would have acted sooner on my child's behalf when he was with my ex (fortunately, we got him out of a bad situation unscathed, no thanks to CPS, the police or the court system). It's a fine line, but it sounds like CPS is more about CYA than common sense in this case.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

A former coworker (a guy) insisted on accompanying his kids to parties until the kids were 13. No other parents would be there. He'd show up with a book and hang out in the living room or wherever until it was time to go. He coached his sons' sports, not because he enjoyed it, but because he wouldn't leave his kids alone, except at school. Seriously. His oldest, a girl, is now out of college and having a hard time adjusting to adulthood. The next oldest, also out of college, has moved far, far away. We'll see what happens to the two still at home.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Frankly, it's easier to be a helicopter parent than it is to let your kids take risks and learn on their own, but it does them a disservice when they head off to college and have to suddenly grow up. My son is only 2.5, and I have to make conscious decisions to keep myself from helicoptering too much (and, if I'm being honest, my parents and sister constantly tell me I coddle him too much - easy for them to say!).

I used to occasionally walk or ride my bike a mile to school when I was in fourth grade (about age 9 or 10). I look at the road I used to walk or ride on and I'd be terrified to let my kid do it. As I type, I feel like I'd be driving back and forth the whole time to make sure he got there OK without knowing I was watching him. I'm sure it will get easier, and I'm a firm believer in letting kids test their limits and learning how to take good risks, but it's certainly easier to try to shelter them.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

These parents have it right.

The fact that this is in any way unconventional or requires a label or is some kind of new movement - that is what is troubling.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I know the world is a much different place than when I was growing up, but I can't imagine letting my kids -- assuming I ever have any -- do any of this.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You can't imagine letting them do what? Walk home from the park?

10. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

My kids are 7 and 8 and they walk to friends' houses by themselves and we get a lot of "You let them do that?!" from friends and relatives. We live 1.8 miles from the school and you have to cross a pretty crazy street to get to school so we don't let them ride their bikes to school.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

#SJParenting is my favorite part of SJ.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

That CPS got involved - and stayed involved - was ridiculous. While they're harassing this family, some kid down the street is probably getting the shit beat out of him for spilling a glass of juice.

Draft saved Draft deleted