1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Urban Meyer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jan 13, 2015.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

...has not been in my kitchen.

But he has won two NCs at two schools.

It's his situation at the first school that prompts me to post. What does SJ world think -- was his reason for leaving Florida (in the lurch, I might add, with a smile) the real reason? Did the sports media give him a pass?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Think he can win three or for?

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Well played. #PostingBeforeCoffee

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I think he wanted to get as far away from the Florida AD as possible. It almost seemed like he was blackmailed to come back, then had to use health situations to finally get away. People have made the same joke about Billy Donovan when he changed his mind about coaching the Magic.

The Florida athletic program has been called "The Firm" for almost two decades. You can only leave if they let you leave.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I don't know why he left but I do know this - if I was a president of a top program, had unlimited resources and every coach on the planet available I'd pay whatever it took to hire him because he is the best in the business, bar none. And I'm starting to think there isn't a close second.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't know but I wish I could rewind my bank account 10 years and get on every game where his teams have been underdogs. Unreal.

7. RecoveringJournalist

So Saban no longer exists? He won titles at two schools as well.

8. RecoveringJournalist

I think where the dip is, is after Saban and Meyer. Whoever the third best coach in college football is, he's a very, very, very distant third.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Saban is very good - he has lost his fastball some though and his teams don't play with the edge Meyer's teams do. Urban Meyer went undefeated at Utah - if that year had been the era of the college football playoff he may have won a national title at his third school last night.

I think Urban is 1, Saban 2 and I'm not sure there is a 3 that is even worth mentioning in that conversation. I know, I know, Les Miles and Jimbo Fisher have won National titles too..... Not sure anyone really believes either of those two are in this conversation. Maybe Gus Malzhan in a few years if he wins a few titles.

10. Guy_Incognito

Where would Chip Kelly be if he were still in college? Honestly asking, I don't follow college FB and don't know enough.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I'd like to see how good these guys are at a mediocre program that doesn't get two dozen blue-chippers every year.

12. Guy_Incognito

Like Utah?

Draft saved Draft deleted