1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Buffett buying Tulsa World

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Good, bad or other for the folks in Tulsa?

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130225/MONEY/702259918/1685#warren-buffett-buys-the-world

2. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

I'm guessing good. Tulsa is a great shop and Buffett is a good owner.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Does this mean they'll start putting a paper out on Christmas?

The World used to have a longstanding tradition of not publishing then, and New Year's might have been included with that. I don't recall.

I haven't seen the World in several years but it used to be very, very good. One of those metro-ish/regional papers that didn't get lots of pub nationally but owned the local market.

4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

We've published on Christmas every day since I've been here.

And we're still very, very good. :)

TarHeelMan likes this.
  5. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Don't get all cocky now, you aren't that good :)

6. Inky_Wretch

Word on the street is Buffett's people have been touring more properties in Oklahoma, Texas and Arkansas. Might be trying to make a deal with Stephens.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

8. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Any idea if that would include NWA Media? Or would that be more of a Fort Smith buy because of WEHCO?

9. Inky_Wretch

Not sure. I heard the BH folks were in Vegas and heading to those states next. I didn't hear specific papers.

10. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I don't know if the two are related, but shortly after they bought the College Station paper, that paper seemed to make a heavy push to expand it's multimedia offerings, hiring a fulltime video guy, creating its own radio, and developing a separate website to focus solely of Aggie material (to compete against a couple of popular ones already in the market).
    Again, these things may have already been in the works, but it all seemed to happen around that time.

Draft saved Draft deleted