1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boston gets 2024 U.S. Summer Olympic bid

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Jan 9, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think it would be cool, very cool. I've been to four Games, and the cities in which they were held seem to have survived the experience just fine. I does take a heaping amount of overall civic cooperation, not our strong suit as a group, alas.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Survives as in hasn't burnt down?

It's a complete waste of public money, fun as hell but like any party the hangover just isn't worth it.

4. Michael_ Gee

Survives as in remains an economically vibrant community. I have staged few if any parties I regretted holding, BTW.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Who'll win the gold in the 2-mile Bumper Car Sprint?

JackReacher likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Hometown hero from either Charlestown, Everett or Somerville.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Athens laughs at this. So does Montreal and numerous other cities.

No they aren't devastated but the debt that is left behind is not worth it.

Vancouver was one of the more successful ones and the city of Vancouver is stuck with huge debt.

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

You think the rest of the world hates us now? Imagine how bad it will be after being exposed to Boston fans for three weeks. :D

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I was selfishly kind of hoping DC would get it because I'd be close enough to take in some events, but not an actual citizen of the metro area who would have to deal with the mess during and after.

10. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

As a resident of the DC suburbs, I am very pleased not to have to put up with a decade's worth of nonsense leading up to the 2024 Summer Olympics. This part of the world is already enough of a goat rodeo trying to get from one town to another. Two strategically placed fender-benders during a rush hour can make everyone's commute home into a 3-4 hour nightmare.

Good luck to Boston. Maybe the good folks in Qatar will grease enough IOC palms to secure the games there. After hosting the World Cup in 2022, the Olympics in 2024 should be a piece of cake for them.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm sure the government and construction leaders who brought us the Big Dig will be right on the nose for this project.

12. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Cue the obligatory Bill Simmons column on how great the old Garden would have been as an Olympic basketball venue in 3....2....

Draft saved Draft deleted