1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2015 Pro Football Hall of Fame Finalists

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Here are the final 15 the voters get to choose from:

Kurt Warner
    Junior Seau
    Orlando Pace
    Jimmy Johnson
    Tony Dungy
    Marvin Harrison
    Tim Brown
    Jerome Bettis
    Terrell Davis
    Morten Andersen
    Charles Haley
    Kevin Greene
    John Lynch
    Will Shields
    Don Coryell

2. Della9250

I'm kinda shocked that Warner made the final 15. Also shocked that Johnson made it that far as well.

If I had to guess, the voting will go like this:

First Cut: Jimmy Johnson, Tony Dungy, Terrell Davis, Morten Andersen, John Lynch
    Second Cut: Don Coryell, Charles Haley, Kevin Greene, Marvin Harrison, Kurt Warner
    Inductees: Junior Seau, Will Shields, Tim Brown, Orlando Pace, Jerome Bettis

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

Are you really surprised about Warner? Why? He'll get in before long. I think he has an outside chance to get in this year.

Johnson does surprise me given his short NFL coaching career.

4. Della9250

I thought they'd wait until after Favre next year to make him a finalist.

QBs that get this far their first year always go in but I think Warner's got the kind of career that would give enough voters pause that, with some of the other guys that have had to wait, they'd put them in over Warner.

And to be fair, I did predict he'd be one of the 15. I had 14 of the 15. The one I missed was Jimmy Johnson instead of Ty Law.

5. Della9250

As a reminder, here is who was cut:

Steve Atwater
    Isaac Bruce
    Roger Craig
    Torry Holt
    Joe Jacoby
    Mike Kenn
    Ty Law
    John Lynch
    Kevin Mawae
    Karl Mecklenburg
    Darren Woodson

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

Warner's career had some of the highest highs ever recorded, as well as the career numbers, huge performances on the biggest stage and Super Bowl trips with previously downtrodden franchises. He's a really strong candidate, and apparently I'm not the only one who thinks so.

7. Della9250

I think he is a Hall of Famer but the quarterback choices by the voters have been the highest of standards at any position. If you make it this far, you make it in. They don't deliberate on QBs over time like every other position.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Good. I hope he gets in. He's more than deserving.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Agreed. I also suspect Harrison has a strong chance.

10. JackReacher

I'd go Warner, Seau, Pace, Harrison, Sheilds

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I don't get some of those names.

Atwater was one of the baddest hitters around. Roger Craig? Really?

Total yards each of first 7 seasons: 1,152, 1,324, 2,066, 1,454, 1,307, 2,036, 1,527. At one point he was the best back in the league. With baseball (I know, apples to oranges) we always talk about "Was he ever the best at his position?" and we can definitely say Roger Craig was the very best at his position, even if he was best for just one season. But as a complete back he was elite for 4 or 5 years on the trot. Not to mention that it's pro football and the window to be best at your position doesn't stay open very long. Silliness.

Plus this:

12. JackReacher

Roger Craig is one of my all-time favorite players. Dude never stopped churning those legs.

Draft saved Draft deleted