1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I miss MASH

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by casty33, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I have seen episodes, and like many of the sitcoms of the 70s & 80s, it wasn't really funny. The movie was, but the show? People got invested in the characters, but I never laughed. I admit I haven't seen nearly all of them.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The movie was awesome. I still refer often to "The Pros from Dover."

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

OK:
    Blake or Potter?
    Trapper or Honeycutt?
    Charles or Frank Burns Eats Worms?

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I grew up watching MASH, and one of my favorite memories of going to Washington, D.C., was getting to see the MASH exhibit at the Smithsonian.
    We have METV here, and I get to take in an episode here and there. Does the show hold up? I think most definitely so.
    And every single time this beat crime reporter sees the Henry Blake dies episode, I tear up.
    Every single time, going back to the original airing.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

It wasn't supposed to be a slapstick comedy.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Potter, Honeycutt and Charles were the "B" team. I don't watch those reruns.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Potter could hang with the originals, IMO.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

As could Honeycutt, IMO.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So was I, but between the ages of 6 and 11 (before it sort of faded into the background on reruns) I saw damn near every episode. Maybe I didn't get all the subtleties of it, but we watched the hell out of that show when it was on in early 80s syndication.

10. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I honestly don't know why I didn't watch it in syndication when I was a kid, especially coming from a military family.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I prefer Potter and Honeycutt, but Frank Burns is way better than Charles.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

OK, but there were comedies that were slapstick (Night Court, Perfect Strangers) and others that were just kind of nice (Who's the Boss, Bewitched, Growing Pains, Facts of Life, Different Strokes). To me the best were funny and got you to care about the characters - (Taxi, Cheers, Cosby, I Love Lucy), and MASH was in the middle category.

Draft saved Draft deleted