1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You can't quote me without permission!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Wow ...

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/ne...cle_e965025f-6c48-5a02-b162-600dfd2b5495.html

Let me know how that works out for you.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

For some reason the headline on this thread made me think of Dr. Strangelove.

You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I saw on one of the sites a poster suggested that next election, the paper doesn't mention him among the lists of candidates, since they are not to contact him and he hasn't given them permission to use his name.

Then see him blame the media for his electoral loss.

JRoyal and Doc Holliday like this.
  4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

+1

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

LOL: http://www.fredericknewspost.com/ne...cle_da85d6f4-fa3c-524f-bbf6-8e5ddc0d1c0a.html

Knowing Councilman Kirby Delauter as we do, we weren't surprised that he threatened The Frederick News-Post with a lawsuit because we had, he says — and we're not making this up — been putting Kirby Delauter's name in the paper without Kirby Delauter’s authorization. Attorneys would be called, Kirby Delauter said.

In fact, we spent quite some time laughing about it. Kirby Delauter, an elected official; Kirby Delauter, a public figure? Surely, Kirby Delauter can't be serious? Kirby Delauter’s making a joke, right?

Round about then, we wondered, if it’s not a joke, how should we now refer to Kirby Delauter if we can't use his name (Kirby Delauter)? Could we get away with an entire editorial of nothing but “Kirby Delauter” repeated over and over again -- Kirby Delauter, Kirby Delauter, Kirby Delauter? OK, imagine we agreed because of temporary madness or something funny in the water that week, how would we reference "Kirby Delauter" and do our job as journalists without running afoul of our lack of authorization?

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That editorial was brilliant.

7. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

8. Doc Holliday

You gotta love the editor going after him like that in that editorial. Too damn funny. Wish something like this would happen where I'm at so we could do the same thing.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Another commenter on the paper's site pointed out that editorial manages to top itself by having the doofus' name spelled out using the first letter of each paragraph.

10. Doc Holliday

That's downright hilarious.

11. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Holeeee scheeeeeit.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In fact it does:

Knowing
    In
    Round