1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paper/TV partnership

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 6, 2015.

1. A Beckley, W.Va paper - CNHI-owned - has entered into a partnership with the local TV station.

I've seen some crossover between entities but never a full-blown announced partnership between two completely separate companies.
    My old boss always saw the TV station as competition so we had nothing to do with them. Occassionally, we'd do radio stuff, and once in a while they'd write a column for special section, but nothing regular.

WOAY is prolly getting the better end of the deal. It's a starter station for reporters and prolly the worst TV station in the state. Beckley's paper - sports, anyway, is pretty solid.

http://www.register-herald.com/spor...cle_28ff1001-1926-5512-a269-c400be750447.html

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

We had one for our paper and the No. 1 station in the market.
    The trade-off wasn't anything big; we'd give them scores from games we covered, they'd pump our Top 20 HS football poll on Friday nights and their Monday HS show. Trade-off ended after one year.
    The ProJo and the No. 2 station in the market are news partners. Some of the guys go on and talk for 3 minutes, but that's about it.
    In general, the TV sports coverage in this state is pretty bland. Everything is just regurgitated pro coverage or reading off news releases. The next story any TV guy breaks will be the first in a good seven or eight years.

3. That's why this is a little suprising to me... On the TV end. The sports guy, who change on an annual basis, are bland and don't tread too far into the local prep stuff.
    Curious to see how long it lasts.

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

Maybe they're trying to improve.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Was involved in such a partnership once. It was particularly beneficial to both parties in covering elections. As far as sports goes, I didn't give it a fair shot because of my competitive instincts and regret it because the television folks were good people. I would be much more receptive to such a partnership if it were to occur again.

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I've seen a couple of local stations report the headlines for tomorrow's newspaper but nothing beyond that. I have no idea what the papers traded them to get their headlines read on the air.

7. In this case it reads to me like they are stringing for the paper, writing some content and adding video to paper's stories.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

At one stop, a local station had a mini-studio in the newsroom and called it their "North Valley Bureau." There would be an occasional live shot during the 6 p.m. news. Offered a case of beer to anyone who'd give the talent bunny ears while she was on the air.

Draft saved Draft deleted