1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodbye Allie

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Did he have a catchphrase?

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

His last one was "ARRGGHHH"

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

We've had a couple of threads on the Florida guy shitting his pants, which reminded me of Eliot Asinof's book on a week with Sherman and the Giants in which Asinof was hit on the sideline and peed his pants. I had found that book recently and re-read it, and looked up Sherman and was surprised that he was still alive.

Sherman was before my time as a coach, but I do remember him on early ESPN MNF pregame shows, and as a kid, he always seemed very enthusiastic.

As a coach, he had some very good teams early in his run, before they got old and he never could quite rediscover the winning magic. RIP.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I came of football age during Ali.'s final years with The Giants. Remember being at Yankee Stadium hearing almost the entire
    crowd singing "Goodbye Allie Goodbye Allie we hate to see you go chorus after chorus.
    One of my favorite Sherman anecdotes came from a book written by Giants back up OT Steve Wright. ( I'd Rather
    Be Wright) At that time it was the football version of Ball Four of course without wide notoriety. As Wright tells it
    The Giants were getting blown out and he was in Sherman dog house on the bench. Finally late in 4th quarter with
    chants of Goodbye Allie reigning down, Sherman tells Wright to get in game. Wright says sure coach do you want me to go
    for the win or just tie it up. Sherman blows his stack and sends him back to the bench.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm clearly too dense to see the humor in this. What am I missing? Is there a punch line or are we making a joke about a guy dying?

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

I wasn't at the stadium, but as a little kid living in Jersey, I very much remember Sherman's end with the Giants, and "Goodbye Allie."

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Moddy, was following up on poin's post, making fun of all the catchphrases we've heard about over the past couple of days.

Not making fun of someone dying. Going to happen to us all. Dang it.

Anyway, yes, an effort with poor taste in retrospect.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I know a guy who played for the NYG under Allie. He really liked him as a coach, but said he was powerless to stop the decline when the Giants all got old, seemingly all at once, and they either drafted terribly or couldn't sign the guys they chose. Wasn't Matt Snell a NYG draft choice? I think he was better than Ernie Wheelwright.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Snell was drafted by both the Giants and the Jets, because they were in separate leagues at the time and had competing drafts. Snell went in the fourth round, 49th selection with the Giants and in the first round as No. 3 with the Jets.

Jets offered him more money, so he went green.

11. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

My father has been a Giants fan since the 50s and always said that he felt Allie Sherman was one of the best coaches they had, right up there with Parcells and Coughlin. Few teams have fallen off the cliff as much as the Giants did in the 60s, so not sure how much of this was Allie's fault (but that probably changed by 69). Pretty much the only player worth his salt around 65-66 was the running back Tucker Fredrickson ... yet he was injured more often than not. Imagine that the kicker Bob Timberlake was 1-of-15 in 1965 (paving the way for the first soccer-style kicker, Pete Gogolak, to be drafted in 66).

Trivia: Who was the starting quarterback before Fran Tarkenton arrived in 67? None other than Earl Morrall, who went on to much greater success with Baltimore and Miami.

I remember Allie being on the ESPN Monday Night Magazine (I think that was the preview show?) in the early 90s and being surprised that he was still in the game, 20 years after he last coached.

Draft saved Draft deleted